Topic

has anyone tried this wood burning stove?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear has anyone tried this wood burning stove?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

http://site283.webhost4life.com/afmservices/trailgear/compactstove/falk-compact-stove-instructions.htm

looks like it packs pretty small and is fairly simple to make. does anyone have any experience with it?

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Truthfully, that appears to be an more-complicated (to build) version of the Falk Wood Stove that I have used and like.

It certainly has even better ventilation.

I can't say which was the first and which was the second.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I built the Falk Stove and took into the southern Sierra last fall. The one I made looked just like the one in photos of the posted website but it didn’t work for me. I would have gone hungry if I have not have been able to borrow my buddy’s stove the whole trip. I still get a lot of ribbing over it. The Bushbuddy Ultra, on the other hand, works great. It would be my main stove except for the wood collection prohibition in many of the areas that I hike in.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Actually, if you guys can hold out until the weekend, I just got the conmpact version and tested it out Saturday and am planning to make a video of it this weekend. I like it much better than the original one-piece version. I'll try to post here but depending on the size of the video, it will either be on my blog or on my youube channel.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Jason –

I look forward to it. Your stove videos are well done and are like a break in the clouds that is the storm of useless videos on YouTube.

– Sam

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Thanks Sam! Now I gues I HAVE to make the video this weekend!

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Or just click here for the video. OK, did my good deed for the day…

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

You and your hyperlinks Ben!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Jason – Informative and well done. Thanks.

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

thanks a lot jason. that was much more than i could have hoped for and we all appreciate it.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Jason

> OK, as promised: http://youtube.com/watch?v=pN30_tG7S3A
    I notice you put the pot on the stove with your hand and pot holder over the triangular cut-out. Methinks it might be safer to hold the pot from the other side away from the cutout?

I also noticed that you placed the stove directly on the forest floor. Now this may be OK where you are, but do you know what would happen in Australia if I did that? About 10 seconds after lighting the stove I would have a great big bushfire spreading through the forest! A bit like the Californian fires maybe.

Cheers

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

This is an issue with this and most all wood burning stoves. I've noticed in another thread this stove is being touted as an inexpensive alternative to the Bushbuddy. In terms of expense, yes it is a great alternative, however in terms of functionality they are not in the same category.

The Bushbuddy is a double-walled downdraft gassifier stove with a metal base which leaves no fire-scar. Jim Falk's stove is in a category with most other wood burning stoves on the market which aren't much more than miniature fire rings. If the purpose is to simply cook over a fire then why not gather a couple rocks together, put your cookpot on top of them and start a fire beneath? Why bother with the six ounce stove. If your goal is to burn every last bit of energy out of a few handfuls of twigs then a gassifier stove is the way to go.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Hi Sam,
    I appreciate your comments about this stove vs. the Bushbuddy and I know the BB is a gasification stove; however, I wasn't suggesting that they are the same animals. I was merely suggesting that people like me who want to try an efficient wood burning stove but can't afford the outrageous price of $140 for the Bushbuddy might consider this one. Don't get me wrong, I think the BB is a great design and I'd LOVE to have one but I can't afford it.

Also, to address your question of using a few rocks rather than carrying the stove: I think you get a much more controlled flame with the stove and that just using rocks (assuming you are able to find just the right ones) would not give you as good of a boil time.

My 2 cents.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Hey Rodger,
    You're right. I would always recommend that people put a wood burning stove on a flat stone or something. And certainly, you want to clear the surrounding area of debris that can catch fire (especially when it's windy). I put the stove on the ground the way I did because it was the best place for the purpose of the video (lighting, wind protection, etc.).

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Sam,

You are certainly correct that comparing the functionality of this (or nearly any) DYI-ish stove to the Bushbuddy is like comparing… oh, I don't know, I can't think of a real good comparison.

However, saying that it's not worth it to bring a stove as compared to gathering rocks is not correct.

1) Stove are far more stable and less likely to spill your dinner.
    2) Stoves are a bit more efficient and far less finicky to keep a relatively small fire going (aka a twig fire), due to a number of factors.
    3) Stove have the potential to result in less earth scarring (Actually, a rather simple modification to this stove would wind up in zero earth scarring).

So, if wood is going to be a last-resort backup, yeah go with gathering rocks. If you're likely to use wood on a regular basis, a 6 oz stove is a pretty cheap (weight wise) investment.

EDIT – HUH! For some reason, when I started posting, I didn't see JK's comments.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Right on Josh!

Jim Falk

@trailgear

Locale: Florida

Hello everyone … It's me Jim Falk creator of the Compact Wood Stove. Good to see a lot of discussion about my design. I enjoy the banter.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Don't get me wrong, I think the BB is a great design and I'd LOVE to have one but I can't afford it.

Consider buying directly from Bushbuddy …. still not cheap but less expensive, was much better before the USD took a nose dive on the currency exchanges. The new std Bushbuddy is the same size as the ultra and just 1.4oz heavier and less expensive too.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Hey Jim, you buying? He, he. :) Honestly, the Trail Gear wood stove works fine for me and I can't justify paying so much for such a slight weight difference. I'm always thrilled when I find something UL that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Hey Jim, you buying? He, he. :)

It's only a matter of time step 1 … "Hello, my name is Jim and I'm a gearhead"

But this one will be financed by clearing out my gear room.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Has anyone done any kind of comparison between these non- gassifing stoves and a "well" built small cook fire?
    I cant help but think that a little skill in fire building could do at least almost as good as one of these stoves?
    Im not doubting that these capture and direct the fire/heat, just wondering to what extent? Like what was said before, is the weight worth it?
    I think I might try it, but I warn you Im not as scientific as most posters here and I will only be able to make genral observations.

Jim Falk

@trailgear

Locale: Florida

Thanks for the review Jason. The video was well done. I'm glad you're happy with my Compact Wood Stove.

Remember, unlike the other stoves on the market, my stove is 4 stoves in one. It can boil water quickly, it's a slow cooker, a food warmer, it's also a pot stand and windscreen for alcohol stoves. It's pack size is 4-1/4" by 4-7/8" and weighs only 6.5 ounces. All this for what I would consider an very low price.

The Bush buddy is nice but it only cooks in one mode and the price is unrealistic. I'll take my multi-functional stove any day.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

> Has anyone done any kind of comparison
    > between these non- gassifing stoves and
    > a "well" built small cook fire?

It would be interesting to hear from both Ryan Jordan and the Roman Dial/Jason Geck team in regards to their Artic 1000 jounrey. Jordan used the Bushbuddy Ultra system and Dial/Geck cooked over small bush fires.

Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

Locale: Chattanooga

So does anybody know of a MYOG design out there for a small wood gassifier stove. I've looked around a bit but can't find one. I'd kind of like to play around with one, but at this point I just don't see myself using one enough to make a Bush Buddy purchase worth it. If I could just make something along those lines out of a couple of old cans and try out the concept I'd be happy for now.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools