Topic

Black Diamond Ion Headlamp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Black Diamond Ion Headlamp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kate Anthony
    Spectator

@kanthony

Locale: NorCal

Anyone have experience with the new Black Diamond Ion Headlamp? I just bought one to try (1.7 oz with 2 Lithium batteries) and the tab on the case that holds the battery case together broke off while loading the batteries. I've used the BD Spot headlamp for two years and have had no quality issues. If you have used the Ion, is the broken tab a fluke? Is ithe unit durable?

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

I've been using one for almost a year and I haven't had any issues like you describe. That being said, I am not sure that I have had to swap batteries that much as I only use it in small bursts around camp. Sounds like a defect that should be replaced by store or mfg IMHO.

Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

Mine broke right out of the box on the first try to install batteries. The tab seems seems super flimsy, which is too bad as the rest of the unit is pretty solid. I exchanged for another Ion and will baby this one during battery changes.

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

I saw a handful of these with the younger boy scouts in my troop a few years ago. (They must have been on sale that year). I only saw the handful that malfunctioned though.

2 had broken tabs, 3 had tabs that were bent open and wouldn't seal the door shut.
    I'm not sure how many didn't malfuntion, since I only see the ones that need repair.

But I've never had to repair a petzl tikka or BD spot :)

Kate Anthony
    Spectator

@kanthony

Thanks for the input. I'll return it and get another to try. I still have my Spot if it doesn't work out.

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

"I saw a handful of these with the younger boy scouts in my troop a few years ago. (They must have been on sale that year). I only saw the handful that malfunctioned though. "

The current Ion is nothing like the Ion from a couple of years ago, so that data is probably not very useful.

FWIW I have yet to see one returned for a broken battery tab, so I would say at this point it is probably a fluke. I would return it and try another one.

G Kullenberg
    BPL Member

@gkullen

Locale: Southwest

I tried the old, old BD Ion when it went on clearance some years ago.

Light weight is a good thing – but there is such a thing as "too light". I note that, should you insist, there are better alternatives for UL headlamps. I really don't understand what BD is doing with this product. It consistently scores low against other similar products, esp. in the category of battery life.

I do see that BD finally fixed the "battery problem" – the previous models either used a very hard to find battery or a proprietary, so at least that's fixed – but they've now (acc. to treelinepacker's blog: http://treelinebackpacker.com/2014/09/11/black-diamond-ion-review-2014/) introduced a silly (at least to me) touch switch problem. The one I had did not last very long. I gave one to a runner to use for night training, and he ultimately threw it away because of the battery life problem.

As comparison (in ref. to product quality), I have used both the BD Spot (1) and BD Storm (4) headlamps. I gave the Spot to the wife, who used it nightly during the fall & winter months to walk, so it got quite a workout. The back became loose and came off after several months of use (a "snap on" variety), the battery contacts required constant tightening and adjustment, and then the switch broke. I gave the wife one of my BD Storms after that: no problems whatever with the Storm since then, some 2 years ago. I only use my Storm when I figure I'll be walking (or running) after dark. A very small flashlight (1 AAA) or my new favorite, the Fenix E12 (1 AA, and more flexible than my previous small flashlights, which had only one "beam flavor") is all I really need.

Kate Anthony
    Spectator

@kanthony

I have a BD Spot but i can't use Lithium batteries in it. i also have to adjust the contacts from time to time. I prefer a headlamp to a flashlight. I let you know if I have problems with the touch switch.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I soooo wanted to like the new Ion, they should have renamed it as it shares nothing w/ the old Ion except the name

runs on two AAA's (lithium is my choice), has a nice range of lumens 5-80 (80 rocks for a sub 2 oz lamp), IPX rating of 8 (that's pretty weather resistant!) and weighs in at svelte 1.7 oz

so what's not to like? the touch sensitive switch- frankly it sucks, at least it sucks in the cold (haven't tried it in warmer temps)

I was so frustrated w/ it on a recent winter trip I wanted to chuck it in the fire

I think it could be a very easy fix for BD, just put a "normal" switch on it- the lamp rocks in every other aspect, but not being able to turn it on is definite no start for me

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I've submitted two reviews on Black Diamonds site, both have been rejected- I gave it a one star (Poor), my first review used the term sucked when describing the touch feature, I rewrote the review purposely avoiding any potential verbiage that could be construed as vulgar- rejected again! I don't think they want a one star rating on their site :(

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I have come to the conclusion that there is no benefit in writing an honest product review on a manufacturer's web site, especially if it is negative. Plus, when a rating system has up to five stars, I might want to give it zero stars, and that is not allowed either. Additionally, when I have made my purchase and I have received the product, they will beat me up trying to get me to write a product review. But then when the review is negative, they don't publish it anyway.

I could recite a list of bad products out there.

–B.G.–

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools