Eric's Oplopanax.ca link, included a map with some of the PLB "fixes" from a 2011 search plotted on it:

While I wouldn't be surprised by a track like Stuart's in a canyon, the terrain features in the image above or as reported in the White Mountains seem a bit milder. I'm very curious if the devices in both cases were functioning properly, or if some other error was in play:
1. Is a human reporting only the wildly different coordinates, not understanding that such jumps are likely to indicate error?
2. Is the device only calculating a new location every few hours in order to conserve battery, and thus reducing the number of useful data points? (e.g. Stuart's track has enough data points where it's easy to identify the "bad plots".)
3. Is the device using ancient hardware/software that combined with (2) makes such errors more likely?
Running around with a lowly iPhone GPS in the mountains, I rarely see such deviations. Any that do happen usually correct within a matter of seconds, so a PLB sending out such wildly different coordinates is a bit disconcerting.
-J





