Topic

Missing hiker found dead in the Whites

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Missing hiker found dead in the Whites

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

Eric's Oplopanax.ca link, included a map with some of the PLB "fixes" from a 2011 search plotted on it:
    PLB position errors from a 2011 search

While I wouldn't be surprised by a track like Stuart's in a canyon, the terrain features in the image above or as reported in the White Mountains seem a bit milder. I'm very curious if the devices in both cases were functioning properly, or if some other error was in play:

1. Is a human reporting only the wildly different coordinates, not understanding that such jumps are likely to indicate error?

2. Is the device only calculating a new location every few hours in order to conserve battery, and thus reducing the number of useful data points? (e.g. Stuart's track has enough data points where it's easy to identify the "bad plots".)

3. Is the device using ancient hardware/software that combined with (2) makes such errors more likely?

Running around with a lowly iPhone GPS in the mountains, I rarely see such deviations. Any that do happen usually correct within a matter of seconds, so a PLB sending out such wildly different coordinates is a bit disconcerting.

-J

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Of course we don't know yet if this was a factor here, but another thing about GPS and smartphone GPS with maps is that 1) they can fail (especially so in these conditions) and 2) they don't give a wide-area overview of the land being traversed and 3) often they do not show all available trail options by which one might bail out.

A map and compass back-up – and the skill to revert to them seamlessly when electronics fail – is often the best option. But nowadays it seems this last-line skill is, for many, rusty or completely ignored by those who grew up in the age of GPS.

In this unfortunate instance, there was an excellent bail-out trail, Valley Way, with a fairly high treeline, less than 1km from where she perished. If I were caught out in that area, that's where I would make a bee line.

star lake

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

All good information Bob… but perhaps irrelevant to the conditions:
    I doubt you could locate the trail in a white out. Not even sure you could stand up to walk it if you did in 100mph winds. And you certainly could not pull out a map and use it in 100mph winds… or hold a compass steady enough to walk heading/bearing.

Billy

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Billy, the discussion was about the apparent position errors reported by GPS for this one incident, and this had nothing to do with trails, white-outs, or compass bearings.

–B.G.–

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

BG… my post was in response to Bob Moulder's post just before mine who brought up trails and map and compass… perhaps you should read Bob M's post and then mine

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Going up there with that kind of wind is just inexplicable.

The key then is to have the good sense not to go up there. I've done Mt. Washington about 15 times in the winter and on a few occasions our group scrubbed it altogether (reading the forecast board and seeing the giant snow plume from Pinkham Notch) or decided to turn around after briefly popping above treeline at Lion's Head… Nope. Not today.

One year, though, we delayed departure in iffy conditions but finally decided to go. Group after group were encountered coming back down the Tuckerman trail telling us they turned around at Lion's head. We decided to continue up toward Lion's Head just to get some exercise and were met with much-reduced wind above treeline. We ended up being the only party to summit that day.

I have navigated in a white-out a couple of times, but yes, never in wind like that.

Edited to correct Subject!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Bob Moulder, what does any of that have to do with GPS?

–B.G.–

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

The thread is about a hiker who died in the Whites and is not limited to GPS.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

I wouldn't be surprised by a track like Stuart's in a canyon

Agreed, this was a classic case. However this one, where I climbed and then descended the crest of a sharp ridge (Grande Fache) was less expected. I returned to the coll to collect my pack, so the track should be a 'T' shape.

Grande Fache track

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Your posting subject is "GPS."

–B.G.–

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Better?

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Your posting subject is "GPS."

Corrected.

Apologies for my confusion.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

The sides of Mt Madison and Adams are very steep going from 3500'ish to 5300' in .4mi and 4000'ish to 5700' in .6mi (approx). We may not have "tall" mountains here but they go straight up and down. There are no switchbacks and for Madison and Adams it is 100% rock scrambling. so having the signal ping off different surfaces is pretty reasonable.

Also, the short height seems to catch non-locals off guard and these are steep and difficult trails. Hell, even Valley Way took us 2 hours to get from the parking lot to Madison Hut in July in perfect conditions.

Map of the area to show the non-locals. Appalachia where she started is at the top and probably went along Valley Way trail. Star lake is between Madison and Adams.
    madison map

trail up Mt Madison. The climb up Adams is about the same
    madison

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

I don't think the erratic GPS signal/reading was the problem. The GPS she was using also gives off another signal that SAR can use to pinpoint the victim more accurately once they get into the area. But you can't get a copter in there with 100mph winds. Seems like lack of good judgement and perhaps freak conditions that were not forecast?

Billy

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I don't think the erratic GPS signal/reading was the problem."

Probably true.

The erratic GPS position would have made it a lot harder for SAR to find the victim in the event that they could have searched in a hurry. But the weather made it impossible for SAR to even begin until it was too late.

–B.G.–

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I agree that the GPS signal was not causative.

Billy, the weather forecast for the area was DIRE (no unexpected sudden changes that weren't predicted), and her planned trip would have been extremely ambitious for summertime (virtually unachievable for winter in those conditions).

I don't know anything about this particular woman, but to accomplish her route under the circumstances, it would be best to have Arctic/Antarctic experience, go with a companion, and bring enough equipment to overnight safely.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Dave T

@davet

> Apologies for my confusion.

Don't apologize for replying to a thread three replies in and not changing the title to better satisfy title nit-pickers.

You got Gross'ed out!

(No wonder he has 12,000+ posts.)

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Good article link, Jake D.

A bit ironic, given the recent blow-out on another thread dealing with UL vs. Safety, but Jake's link ends with the following quote:

"There are two ways to go (in climbing): light and fast, or heavy and slow," said Wilcox. "But if something happens when you go light and fast, you're screwed. That happened to her, and there is no way to spend the night. If you're on Lion's Head on Mount Washington, and there are 40 or 50 people around you, and you get in trouble, that's one thing — if you're in the Northern Presidentials, and you get into trouble, there is no one to help you."

George F
    BPL Member

@gfraizer13

Locale: Wasatch

My question about this tragedy is if having a PLB may have contributed to the poor decision making.

Kevin Buggie
    BPL Member

@kbug

Locale: NW New Mexico

Thx to all for the media links. This is what I've noticed:
    It seems she gave her shuttle a 13 hour eta at the base of Mt Washington descent trail. That's reasonable for fit summer trail runners (Daily mail article showed her to be pretty fit), but contrary to what to expect in winter conditions. The youtube video showed two SAR getting blown right off their feet.

She climbed without snowshoes following a 2 day-old snowshoe track on the ascent.

Then a night without a bivy….. the night before Mt. Washington was the 2nd coldest place on earth (-30 something)

I wonder if limited (and inflexible) time-off from a Wall St. type job contributed to a pressure to attempt the bold traverse despite weather conditions during the trip-window?

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Kevin,

Seems plausible… adrenaline junkie, Type-A, finish at all costs, keep on schedule, stick to the plan…

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Kev for comparison when I did the Presi traverse 2 summers ago I did the 25mi version in 15hr, including lunch at Mt washington. we started at 5am and were on mt washington summit by 12:30. That is 70F temps in July at a steady pace.

It could have been less windy down at the parking lot and along Valley until it pops out at the Hut.. it is in full height trees most of the way then gets shorter as you get closer. after that it would have been like in the video from there on because there is no more shelter.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

new story with a better timeline and a bit more info from the SAR guys.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/02/21/the-young-woman-and-mountain/SEBPucaGpA1Fun4R5uoj7K/story.html

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

A good article.
    The details are enlightening.

Thanks.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools