Topic

Durable wool-synthetic blends?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Durable wool-synthetic blends?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

All the buzz about wool-synthetic blends like Polartec Power Wool at ORSWM 2015 has got me thinking about wool t-shirts again.

I like the feel of wool next-to-skin particularly during heavy activity but I don't really buy the performance aspects, and the durability issues make it hard to bite the bullet on spending $75 a shirt. Every piece of fancy wool clothing I own has holes and runs in it.

Essentially, I'm looking for something with the wicking and moisture movement of wool, blended with the durability of synthetic.

Has anybody got experience with some brand or another of this in thin, short-sleeved form? Is it the best of both worlds? The worst of each?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I own two Patagonia Merino 1 shirts, both long sleeves, but they also come in t-shirts. They are 65% wool and 35% capilene. Thus far I've found them durable- they are pretty thin (which is why they make a good base layer), so you can't treat them overly roughly. But both have lots of hours both hiking and trail running w/ a pack on and are in very good shape.

I also prefer the feel of wool and I think Patagonia found a pretty good ratio in their Merino 1.

I wouldn't spend $75 though, wait for a sale- my long sleeves were under $40 iirc

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have a Smartwool PhD Run long-sleeve zip T that is 79% wool, 21% nylon; it is very thin and does come in a s/s t-shirt.

It is thin-enough that it doesn't inspire great confidence in durability and it is very expensive (I got mine on sale, I would not pay full-price at $110.00). I haven't had a chance to really test it yet, only one day hike with a light pack.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The newest Patagonia Merino 1 and Rab Meco 120 are both 65% merino, 35% poly. Functionally the fabrics are identical. Both are more durable than any similar weight wool I've used, but not nearly as durable as the best 100% poly baselayers. I think they're a decent compromise overall.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools