Topic

10 or 20 degree FF bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 10 or 20 degree FF bag

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jennifer r
    BPL Member

@ultrajen

I’m ready to commit to my feathered friends bag for my birthday and now I’m stuck between the 10 and 20° Women’s  ultralight versions. I do mostly summer high elevation backpacking so the low temp would be 20 to 40. I’ve never slept less than 20. My current bag is a north face nova 0° but it’s nowhere near that warm. It’s also 10 years old so really hard to get any sort of idea. My current bag is a north face nova 0° but it’s nowhere near that warm. It’s also 10 years old so really hard to get any sort of idea. I would just like this bag to cover the best spectrum of my temperatures If anyone has suggestions. They are only $60 apart in price. So that’s of less concerned. It sucks to be too warm or too cold and I can’t make a decision:((

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I have a 10 deg EE quilt, and an Xtherm.  Last weekend I probably had nighttime temps in the low 50s; I was a little warm but still too lazy to unzip or uncinch the footbox.  I tend to sleep cold, at least early in the night, so I’d much rather deal with a too warm setup than a too cold setup.  I’d say think about whether you’re a cold or warm sleeper, what type pad you use, and how much the bag can be opened up.

Debbie

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Jennifer,

Since you would rather not get too warm or too cold it might be worthwhile to go with the 20F bag and additionally custom made down pants (for example here from GooseFeet). I assume you already have  down sweater or a down jacket. That way you have a sleeping system where you can decide to not bring the down pants if it is really warm, bring them but not put them on if it is  warm, or put them on when the temperatures get too cold otherwise. Since you decide how much down to fill the pants with you can make sure the system fits your needs.

Have fun out there!

Manfred

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

Second The above post.  Save the weight and supplement the 20 degree bag with your jacket and hat..when things get too chilly

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Locale: Sacramento

Third the above. I hike in shorts, but take legwarmers for cold mornings and evenings in the Sierra. I can also wear them while sleeping.

So if in doubt, get a 20 degree bag and at the cold end of the season, supplement it with bedsocks, legwarmers, and a beanie or balaklava.

BTW, I’m thinking of replacing my North Face Blue Kazoo (15 degrees, 35oz ) with a FF Flicker UL 20. I like the idea of a hoodless mummy, because instead of the mummy hood, I can use a fleece or down balaklava that I can also wear around camp.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

I have a FF Flicker 20 degree in wide and back pack in the Rockies where it often snows in July.  My feeling is to go with the 20 and as indicated above, layer in when you need too.  FF bags tend to be conservative in temp rating anyway.  Between FF and Western Mountaineering, there really isn’t a better line of sleeping bags on the market.

jennifer r
    BPL Member

@ultrajen

Thank you so much for all the thoughtful replies

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

My experience with Feathered Friends is that their temp ratings are very conservative. If they say 20 deg, it will be toasty warm, just wearing a thin base layer, down to 20deg for sure!

jennifer r
    BPL Member

@ultrajen

I’m usually warm in my bag but I don’t think I’d even follow through on a trip if the mornings around camp were less than 20.

After all that. They are out of stock of the 20! So I set up an email alert and I’ll wait :) they’ll catch up after the summer I think.

I also think I might sell the north face bag and buy a second cheaper summer bag for car camping. My sons big agnes 40 has been good and isn’t expensive.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools