Topic

1 week Adirondacks gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 1 week Adirondacks gear list

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mark Armesto
    BPL Member

@marmesto

Hi! I’m looking for a 2017 gear list for a week of solo backpacking in the Adirondacks this summer. Any ideas?

Mark Armesto
    BPL Member

@marmesto

General High Peaks hiking.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Well, Go Lite! I have done a lot of the Peaks up there, though not quite all 46.
    Gear Lists vary according to year and general climbing conditions. Three points:
    1) Stay on the trails. Do not walk around any mud puddles. Walk through them. Trail intersections are “iffy.” Some are well marked. Some are simply there. Some of the herd paths (goat trails) are better than the main trails.
    2) No Fires. Bring a stove or cold edibles. In Summer conditions, you can expect nights to be anything from around <32F(0C) to 85F(30C.)
    3) Bear cans are required.

Gear List:
    Pack: <16oz, ~3000ci(49L)
    Sleeping Gear: Jacket w/hood, Long Johns, sleeping socks, 32F(0C) quilt, 12oz pad, 8’x10′(2.5x3m)Tarp. (Sometimes, less than 1/3 of the time, you get mosquitoes.) All packed in a black garbage bag for short three day trips or less.
    Food: Bear Can, High Density food, usually you plan on running lean for a couple days, and stocking up when you get back. For week long stays, you need about 1.75lb of food per day. For indefinite time periods you need about 2.5-3pounds per day.
    Water: Usually a 3liter platy is enough. I also bring two 500ml water bottles and a Steripen.
    Stove: none or canister. Depends on your duration. Cold food gets old after two days. And, a cup of HOT coco or HOT coffee is pleasant in camp.
    Odds & Ends: small lighter, compass, map, small sized line, 6′(2m)duct tape, super glue, salt & pepper
    Cloths: Light base layer, for hiking. Peaks and descents will need a jacket…not from your sleeping gear. Rain Jacket (too windy, too much scrambling for poncho’s,) Light long john pants, hat, light fleece, hiking staff.
    Base weight of around 7-9pounds is usually what I carry, including a bear keg.

Mark Armesto
    BPL Member

@marmesto

All good advice. Thanks.

Anyone else?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools