Topic

1 ounce glove system

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 1 ounce glove system

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

obviously not for frigid conditions, but for cool to mildly cold weather, works pretty well

the outer glove is Montbell’s UL shell glove- water and wind resistant

the inner is MB’s zero-line glove

they can be worn on their own- typically I wear the inner glove on it’s own and then add the outer if needed- have never worn the shell glove on it’s own, but could

weights are for size large, with my hands the shell fits over the inner, but might be worth sizing up on the shells

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

I have the inner glove too. Beware around Velcro! Also use their Wind Shell gloves, Windstopper Trekking mits, Winter Trekking gloves, Outdry Rain gloves, and Chameece Inner gloves in various combos.

Martin Farrent
    BPL Member

@martinfarrent

On mountain bike tours, I usually carry a few pairs of throwaway latex gloves – good for repair work, but also excellent as liners. Waterproof and surprisingly warm.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Great combo… lotta bang for so few grams!

To such a setup I could add some 200wt polartec gloves and be good down to 0F or maybe -10, although at those temps I would use my MLD eVent rain mitts. The mitten style with shock-corded gauntlets makes them superb. Obviously not intended for any sort of scrambling, same as any other very light shell gloves.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Nice posting, Mike.
    How is the sizing on the MontBell gloves?
    Steofan M.

Serge Giachetti
    BPL Member

@giachett

Locale: boulder, co

I love montbell gloves and use a similar, slightly heavier glove system as you Mike. I’ve used the zeo thermal gloves (1oz) and thunder pass shells (1.2) for the last few years. The zeo thermals provide the right amount of warmth for me on the move down to about 25 and the thunder pass gloves go over them when it’s colder. The zeo’s have decent durability  for a liner glove and dry really quickly. On colder  trips I bring 2 pairs of the zeos, so I can change into a dry pair, and dry the other pair out next to my body. The enlightened Equipment stronghold mitts work great as an overmitt in this system. For only one oz, you get a lot of warmth and the ability to dry out the base and shell gloves like a belay jacket. Really like this as a cold weather UL glove system.

Serge Giachetti
    BPL Member

@giachett

Locale: boulder, co

Oh, and I’d say montbell gloves are similar sizing to other gloves, but a touch smaller. I generally wear an XL in Mb. I can squeeze into an L in the liners, though I think sizing down makes for colder hands. I wear in L in TNF and MHW gloves.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

some good info guys :)

I’d agree on sizing, I’d suggest sizing up one- especially with an outer

for winter I use a little heavier liner (Chameece) with my MLD eVENT mitts and EE Apex mitts

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Note that on Montbell’s website most of their gloves are labeled “Asian fit”.

Golly G. Willikers
    BPL Member

@piano

Locale: Orion Spur

My setup for mildly cold conditions is possum gloves inner, fleece mitts mid-layer, mb shell outer mitts.

If they wet through, both the possum and fleece are warm when wet.

I also make use of the surgical glove trick for extra wet/cold protection. They are also good for stove maintenance/repairs (or for bike when bike touring).

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

I like ultralight biking gloves.  Light leather on the palms for hiking poles, warm enough, fingers free, 1.1 oz or 31g for the pair.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Looks like Mike has a created a lighter version of the Outdoor Research Versaliner gloves. I see they are offering a mitten version too: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/mens/versaliner-mitts/p/2539590001007?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2PGqmoy81wIVzYF-Ch1nQQRxEAAYASAAEgJUO_D_BwE

I like Grease Monkey fingerless mechanics gloves from Home Depot for biking and trekking poles.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Ohhh- I like those Versa Mitts :)

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

The shell gloves are pretty nice – the only downside is that they don’t have any grip I guess.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ I definitely wouldn’t call them grippy, but not really slippery either- they grip my trekking pole decently
    on another note I was out the other day in a very cold rain (upper 30’s) with just these gloves available- while not waterproof, definitely very water resistant- damn glad I had them

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

Good to know! I think I’ll try them as well

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Mike, can you speak a bit more to how water-resistant-but-not-waterproof these shells are? I am intrigued by them but have shied away because MB’s website only describes their functionality as “a simple barrier against the cold” — doesn’t even mention rain or water functionality. Was ready to pull the trigger on some Borah eVent mitts just before you started this thread, and now I’m torn. I don’t expect to be hiking days on end in the rain but was looking to a shell mostly for being caught in an occasional 3-season downpour.

Thanks!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

these aren’t a viable substitute for rain mitts imo; if you knew it was only going to be a short rain event, then yeah, but I’ve been stuck in some long rains that mitts were a life saver- especially if using trekking poles

having said that, they (gloves) do a good job of shedding moisture and wind

they are so light and pack so small, I think they earn a spot in almost any pack

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools