Topic

1.4oz No-Sew DCF Emergency Rain Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 1.4oz No-Sew DCF Emergency Rain Jacket

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Perkins
    BPL Member

@senatorperkins

Locale: California

Hi there,

Thought I’d share this emergency rain jacket I made for myself.. kind of a silly experiment in how light a rain layer could possibly get.. despite the pit vents this thing does not breathe at all so it’d be a mess to hike in unless the temp is pretty low.  I used 0.34oz DCF and PSA only, since I don’t think this material would hold a seam all that well. I based the pattern off of the Patagonia Tropic Comfort hoodie since it was a really simple construction.. made a tyvek version first and altered it a bit then went for it with the DCF. I like how it turned out, though if I had a second shot I’d make the hood a bit deeper. Let me know if you have any questions or feedback!

John Dallas
    BPL Member

@johndallas

It is great to experiment.

I made a poncho tarp that worked great as a poncho on the 100 Mile Wilderness.  It had good air flow. It weighs 4.6 Oz. I did seams similar to what you did. I reinforced tie points.
    This does not include weight of stakes. I never tested it on the trail as a tarp.  It worked good in the yard.  I hope to get back on trail someday and test it out as a tarp.

Jimmy Legs
    Spectator

@jimmy-legs

Very cool and absurdly light.  Would be a nice piece on trips in dry climates with no rain in forcast.  Just remember, Chief Sohcahtoa can only calculate right angle triangles ;)

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

Cool. Nicely done. I could definitely see using it when the weather is supposed to be good.

For day hikes, I tend to leave the rain jacket at home if the forecast is good (0% chance of rain). Unfortunately, I sometimes space out and don’t put the rain gear in there when its not (10% chance, and things turn sour). This would be way more comfortable than getting soaked, even if it is clammy. It is so light you can stick it in your pack (with things like a space blanket) and keep it there all the time.

Likewise, I never go backpacking without rain gear (even when the weather is supposed to be great) and this could save a few ounces. Nicely done.

Ryan Perkins
    BPL Member

@senatorperkins

Thanks everyone.. exactly my thinking on the usage. Guess we’ll get some rain in California eventually so I can try it out and see how comfortable it is.

“Just remember, Chief Sohcahtoa can only calculate right angle triangles ;)” – @jimmy-legs

Sure, but any triangle can become a right triangle with the addition of one well-placed line :)

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

How about making it out of heavier Cuban? Probably still only 3-4 oz and much more durable.

Ryan Perkins
    BPL Member

@senatorperkins

Yeah, timmermade makes one out of 0.5oz DCF. I think anything under 1.3oz weight DCF wouldn’t be much more durable, and above 1.3oz you’re looking at 3-4 ounces for the jacket and you might as well get a woven WPB/DWR jacket since there are some in that range. So that’s why I consider it an emergency jacket – definitely not durable enough for daily use.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I love this project!!!!  Great job.  And thank you for sharing it!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest
    John Smith
    BPL Member

@jcar3305

Locale: East of Cascades

Nice job on the build. While not likely ideal for rain, it looks perfect for a vapor barrier top for winter camping. Make a pair of pants and socks and you could improve the comfort range of your winter set up by at least 10 degrees and likely more.

Brian H
    BPL Member

@reno1

That is insane how light your creation is.  Taking a closer look, it would definitely fit a need on certain trips.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools