Topic

1-2 Night Sierra Trip Help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning 1-2 Night Sierra Trip Help

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin M
    BPL Member

@millebe

Hi Everyone,

Need some help. Recently moved to CA (LA-area) and am looking to for a 1-2 night trip in the Sierras. Aiming for early June (8-12th ish).

Me: Experienced backcountry light/ultralight. Know the Winds/WY/MT/ID well, and have done off-trail backcountry in the Wrangells (can check my post history on that). I’ll be carry most of our gear, etc.

My Partner: Day hiker but has never backpacked before. Can do 10-15 miles with 2000ish elev. gain without a pack. She’ll have a pack for this trip, but I’ll be carrying most of our weight.

As you can guess, this is my “I hope you like backpacking as much as I do” trip. I want to show her big granite and cold lakes. I’m just not knowledgeable about the Sierras. Not sure what’s snowed in, and what would be a good short trip for us.

Any suggestions?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

PM sent

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Taking into consideration permits and driving, I’d suggest something like Jennie Lakes or Donkey Lakes. Beautiful.  Easy to get to.  Permits usually available.  And enough choices that if you don’t like on place, you can hike to another.  And please don’t make this trip epic.  Make it fun…

We’ve got trip reports on both areas in backpack the Sierra.com

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

“Can do 10-15 miles with 2000ish elev. gain without a pack. ”

Is that experience also in the Rockies?

You want the first day to be fun so check the elevation profiles.  It might not be a good idea to drive up from sea level and immediately start hiking over a 10K pass.

Also note that the US Forest Service camps fill up quickly this time of year. So you need to arrive mid week or check and see whether there is overnight camping for backpackers at the designated trailhead.

Florence Lake and Lake Thomas Edison have some of the highest elevation trailheads in the western slope of the Sierras.  There are a lot of loops out of Vermillion Valley you could do or base camp at Vermillion Valley Campground and hike to a different lake each day.  The indoor hot springs at Mono Hot Springs used to be a fun way to end a trip.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

Beware VVR loops.  The camp fire completely roasted the north side of Edison.

If you want granite and care less about solitude, Twin Lakes, or Ranger Lakes area heading north from lodgepole are reasonably easy.  And you can possibly get a room at Wuksachi lodge on either end for some civilized time.  ($$$$ though).

Alternately the Cottonwood Lakes area at the southern end offers granite as well.  (Permits harder to come by). The horseshoe meadows trailheads at 10k ft make for relatively easy entry.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools