BPL recently hosted a summer recipe contest/giveaway. The winner receives a brand-new Jetboil Joule cooking system. Read the details about the contest here.
The following is the recipe submission from Ken Larson which won the contest.
This is it! The classic monkey bread recipe, oozing with warm brown sugar and cinnamon AND it is easy to make……. as well as being irresistible!
This was the #1 baking treat made by the four granddaughters (ages 11, 12, 14, 14) on our last year’s eleven day adventure on Isle Royal National Park.
The four bakers.
6 servings (287.5 Cal/serving)
Preparation Time : ~20 min; Total Time 1hr & 10min
The block is used with the Sidewinder Ti-Tri & 1.3 Evernew Ti Pot System.
- Sidewinder Ti-Tri & 1.3 Evernew Ti Pot
- Epicurean Stove (Wooden block shim is needed under stove plate (L 2in x W 1.7in x .433in) + one 14g Esbit Tablet; OR Fat Cat It’s a Snap Windscreen without Wooden block shim OR KOVEA gas stove with either Sidewinder or Fat Cat It’s a Snap Windscreen.
- 1ea Pint Ziploc bag, 2ea Sandwich bags
- Fat Daddio’s 5″ round pan
- 1 Cup Bisquick
- ½ tsp oil
- 4 Tbsp. Instant Milk
- 1 ½ tsp Butter Powder
- 1/4 tsp Dry Vanilla Power
- ½ tsp Ova Dried Egg Mix
- 1/3 Cup (~80g) Dried Blueberries & Dried Cranberries OR Raisins & Dried Cherries
- 1/4+ Cup water
- 1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- ½ Tbsp. Chopped Pecans & Walnuts (Place in Sandwich bag)
- 1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Cinnamon
- ½ Tbsp. Chopped Pecans & Walnuts
- 1 Tbsp Butter Powder (Place in sandwich bag)
Mix the Dough ingredients together in the Ziploc bag until soft dough forms. Lightly oil a 5” round pan and place a parchment paper disk (slightly smaller than the diameter of the pan) on the bottom of the Fat Daddio’s Pan. Sprinkle the Topping into the pan and spread out to form an even layer. Mix the Coating ingredients together in a plastic bag till creamy.
Baking over! Time to eat!
Flatten dough in Ziploc mixing bag, cut bag longitudinally down the mid portion and then cut left and right to open bag. Divide Dough into 6 pieces using a spatula/knife. With oiled hands, roll dough into 6 equal sized balls (~1-inch ) and then roll them in the Coating. Make sure that all sides of the dough are covered. Place the coated dough balls randomly into the Fat Daddio’s Pan. Pat down the dough to make an even layer across the top of the pan. Sprinkle the remaining Coating on top of dough.
Cooking time ~45 minutes. Remove pan; cool 10 minutes. Serve warm.
Take a bite!