Level up your photography game with better skills and techniques, and learn to choose the right camera and equipment for your style of backpacking.
How come my trip pictures never look as good as other people’s?
That’s a question we hear a lot around Backpacking Light. Luckily, it’s pretty easy to take your photography from very poor to pretty good. Buying the world’s most expensive camera won’t make a difference if you don’t have a solid foundation of skills.
Understanding the science behind photography and some basic lessons on composition can go a long way. Once you’ve got that down, choosing the correct gear makes a much bigger difference.
Keynote: Photography Skills and Gear for Backpacking (Member Q&A) (~40 minutes)
- photography 101
- cameras for backpacking
- managing cameras in inclement weather
- post production
Q&A (~ 20 minutes)
- How can us non-camera-people improve the quality of our photos with our phone (smartphone) while hiking and backpacking?
- How do you balance photo quality vs. camera weight, especially while backpacking with interchangeable-lens cameras? Which lens(es) should I take?
- What are the tradeoffs between just taking my phone (and a portable battery charger) as my camera vs. taking my phone (and leaving it off, thus not needing a portable battery charger) and a dedicated camera?
- How do I protect the rotating barrel on a zoom lens from sand intrusion on a desert backpacking trip?
- How do ultralight backpackers deal with reflectors? Can we use mylar, Tyvek, Dyneema Composite Fabrics?
- Is a fill flash required when capturing portraits of my backpacking buddies?
- Is there a way to utilize trekking poles as a backpacking camera tripod?
About the Event & Access Info
- Event Description: Photography Skills and Gear for Backpacking (Member Q&A)
- Livestream Date and Time: Thursday, August 4th, 2022, 5:30 PM US Mountain Time
Backpacking Light Member Q&A Sessions are Hour-Long Members-Only Live Events – they are recorded and the recorded session will be made available below after the live event has ended.
To access the live or recorded (video) version of this event, a printable slide deck for note-taking, and the related resources/downloads, you must be logged in with an active Basic, Premium, or Unlimited Membership.