Trek Planning 2020 is a private, online group instruction, coaching and consulting program for hikers who want to learn how to methodically prepare for and plan an extended backpacking trip.
- Lead Instructor/Coach: Ryan Jordan, Backpacking Light Owner/Founder
- Other Instructors/Coaches: Backpacking Light Wilderness Adventures Guides
It’s a curriculum suitable for any experience level and includes basic, intermediate, and advanced techniques related to gear, skills, and philosophy of ultralight and lightweight backpacking practices in a wide variety of climates and geographical environments.
Trek Planning 2020 enrollment is $250, but is FREE for trek participants and included with your enrollment in a guided trek.
- Four two-hour online live-streamed sessions
- Personalized, private coaching feedback from our guides
- Access to a private Slack channel for group coaching and direct interaction with our guides
Online Only TREK PLANNING 2020 ($250) – If you can’t join us on a trek this year, participate in our live online Multi-Day Trek Planning program with all of our trekkers – 8 hours of live instruction and Q&A with our guides to help you learn about gear, skills, trip planning, and more that you can use to help plan your own trek. Two-hour sessions will be held at 6:00 – 8:00 PM US Mountain Time – see Schedule/Key Dates below. They will be recorded if you can’t attend the live session, and you’ll have access to them indefinitely.
- This program is included if you enroll in any 2020 Wilderness Adventures trek.
- This program includes a custom “gear list shakedown” performed by our guides (send in your gear list and we create a video commentary going through your gear list)
- You will have access to a closed group for messaging (a private Slack Channel), with our guides and other enrollees for Q&A during the course.
- Enrollment is limited for this program to maintain our ability to give you personal attention.
All times are US Mountain Time. A link to the recorded version of a live session will be emailed to you within 24 hours after the end of the live session.
- May 27, 2020 11:59 PM – Enrollment Closes for Online Trek Planning Program
- May 28 6:00-8:00 PM – Live Online Trek Planning Session #1
- June 4 6:00-8:00 PM – Live Online Trek Planning Session #2
- June 11 6:00-8:00 PM – Live Online Trek Planning Session #3
- June 18 6:00-8:00 PM – Live Online Trek Planning Session #4
- June 25 6:00-8:00 PM – Live Online Trek Planning Session #5 (Bonus Session – Covid-19)
- A Critical Review of Trip Planning Processes – We discuss different frameworks for planning different types of trips, and present our own expedition planning process for planning multi-day backpacking trips in remote wilderness locations.
- Route Planning – Presentation and discussion of publicly-available GIS technologies to plan routes and estimate time and energy requirements for different route options; how to identify campsites in areas with no or little route beta.
- Planning Equipment and Supplies – Gear considerations for multi-day vs. overnight trips, and as a function of geographic location and climate.
- Inclement Weather Clothing, Shelter, Sleep, and Cooking Systems – Extending ultralight gear and skills cautiously, so you can be safe and comfortable in inclement environments.
- Hydration and Water Treatment Strategies – Overview and comparison of water treatment and hydration strategies for different environments and water source types.
- Food Planning – How to estimate food requirements; food packaging strategies; bears and other critters!
- Fitness and Training – Fitness considerations as related to aerobic capacity, muscular endurance, and max strength, especially as they relate to caloric needs and your route plan.
- Contingency Planning – Planning for contingencies and emergencies as a result of weather, injury, or routine changes of plans; exit. scenarios.
- Travel, Planning, and Group Hiking in Response to Covid-19 (Bonus Session)