Enrollment is limited for this program to maintain our ability to give you personal coaching and consulting attention and will be closed early when we reach our participant cap.
Trek Planning 2020 is a private, online group instruction, coaching and consulting program for hikers who want to learn how to methodically prepare for and plan an extended backpacking trip.
- Lead Instructor/Coach: Ryan Jordan, Backpacking Light Owner/Founder
- Other Instructors/Coaches: Backpacking Light Wilderness Adventures Guides
It’s a curriculum suitable for any experience level, and includes basic, intermediate, and advanced techniques related to gear, skills, and philosophy of ultralight and lightweight backpacking practices in a wide variety of climates and geographical environments.
Trek Planning 2020 enrollment is $250, but is FREE for trek participants and included with your enrollment in a guided trek.
- Four two-hour online live-streamed sessions
- Personalized, private coaching feedback from our guides
- Access to a private Slack channel for group coaching and direct interaction with our guides
Online Only TREK PLANNING 2020 ($250) – If you can’t join us on a trek this year, participate in our live online Multi-Day Trek Planning program with all of our trekkers – 8 hours of live instruction and Q&A with our guides to help you learn about gear, skills, trip planning, and more that you can use to help plan your own trek. Two-hour sessions will be held at 6:00 – 8:00 PM US Mountain Time on April 23, May 14, June 4, and July 9. They will be recorded if you can’t attend the live session, and you’ll have access to them indefinitely.
- This program is included if you enroll in any 2020 Wilderness Adventures trek.
- This program includes a custom “gear list shakedown” performed by our guides (send in your gear list and we create a video commentary going through your gear list)
- You will have access to a closed group for messaging (a private Slack Channel), with our guides and other enrollees for Q&A during the course.
- Enrollment is limited for this program to maintain our ability to give you personal attention.
All times are US Mountain Time. A link to the recorded version of a live session will be emailed to you within 24 hours after the end of the live session.
- April 23, 6-8 pm: Live online session #1 (recorded version available within 24 hours)
- April 30: Deadline for submitting your gear list for your private video commentary shakedown
- May 14, 6-8 pm: Live online session #2 (recorded version available within 24 hours)
- June 4, 6-8 pm: Live online session #3 (recorded version available within 24 hours)
- July 9, 6-8 pm: Live online session #4 (recorded version available within 24 hours)
- A Critical Review of Trip Planning Processes – We discuss different frameworks for planning different types of trips, and present our own expedition planning process for planning multi-day backpacking trips in remote wilderness locations.
- Route Planning – Presentation and discussion of publicly-available GIS technologies to plan routes and estimate time and energy requirements for different route options; how to identify campsites in areas with no or little route beta.
- Planning Equipment and Supplies – Gear considerations for multi-day vs. overnight trips, and as a function of geographic location and climate.
- Inclement Weather Clothing, Shelter, Sleep, and Cooking Systems – Extending ultralight gear and skills cautiously, so you can be safe and comfortable in inclement environments.
- Hydration and Water Treatment Strategies – Overview and comparison of water treatment and hydration strategies for different environments and water source types.
- Food Planning – How to estimate food requirements; food packaging strategies; bears and other critters!
- Fitness and Training – Fitness considerations as related to aerobic capacity, muscular endurance, and max strength, especially as they relate to caloric needs and your route plan.
- Contingency Planning – Planning for contingencies and emergencies as a result of weather, injury, or routine changes of plans; exit. scenarios.