The literal translation of the Japanese word ‘Tenkara’ is ‘from Heaven.’ If Heaven’s character is defined by elegance, grace, and simplicity, then Tenkara fly rods may indeed be Heaven’s answer for backcountry fly fishing enthusiasts passionate about ultralight gear and style.
Ryan’s Tenkara Gear
- Tenkara Ayu (3.5 oz) or Tenkara Iwana Rod (2.3 oz)
- Simblissity Unslack Pack, modified for lanyard use (0.7 oz)
- 10.5′ Braided Tenkara Leader on Tippet Spool
- 30M 5X Frog Hair Tippet on Spool (I sometimes add a spool of 6X and/or 7X as well)
- Hydrophobe Floatant in Small Squeeze Tube
- Yarn Strike Indicator
- MicroDrop Bottle with Qty 16 Split Shot
- Morell Small Foam Fly Box (includes weight of four dozen flies)
- MicroZip Bag with Fishing License
Total Weight of Kit: 5 to 6 ounces
A short introduction to what Tenkara is all about, including some fish-catching footage and expository comments from the South Fork of the Flathead River in the Bob Marshall Wilderness.