Blist-O-Ban is meant to help prevent blisters. It is a very thin (.002" thick) bandage with a bubble in the center. Placed over a hot spot, or where you are prone to blisters, it is meant to prevent a blister from forming by isolating the tender spot from friction. When friction is applied to the top (bubble) layer in the center of the bandage (such as from a shoe or sock rubbing), the top layer slides over the next layer of the bandage and dissipates the friction before it reaches the tender skin below.
Blist-O-Ban has a strong adhesive and will stay on for several days, even in wet conditions, if applied correctly. That means swabbing the area with alcohol – alcohol swabs are packaged with the bandage. The skin-contact layer of the bandage is a breathable, micro-perforated, latex-free, polyurethane film. Each Blist-O-Ban bandage is packaged in a waterproof pouch. Pouch, bandage, and alcohol swab weigh less than 0.1 ounce.
I’ve been wearing a Blist-O-Ban bandage on the back of my hand for about 20 hours. It is so thin and flexible that I don’t notice it is there, and it hasn’t irritated my skin like duct tape does. It comes in several colors including clear so you can see what yor "boo boo" looks like under the bandage. This product was developed on a larger scale for limb amputees and has been scaled down for blisters. It shows promise of being a very effective anti-blister treatment.
Features and Specifications
- Weight: bandage, waterproof pouch, and alcohol swab weigh less than 0.1 oz
- Sizes: small, medium, large
- Dimensions: medium – oval shape approximately 3" long by 1.5" wide by 0.002" (6 mil) thick
- Features: sterile, strong adhesive, breathable, in a waterproof pouch.
- Colors: pink, blue, clear
- MSRP: $7.50 – $8.50 in assorted sizes (6 each)
- Distributed: by Adventure Medical Kits separately or in their Light & Fast series of first aid kits
Profile of Blist-O-Ban showing bubble to dissipate friction.