While getting briefed on the latest and greatest products from MontBell, we noticed a stack of unnamed self inflating pads semi-hidden under a rack of clothing. Curious, we asked for details. The pads are 20 inches wide and come in various lengths. The 3 and 4 feet pads weigh 9.9 and 12.7 ounces respectively. That really got our attention, along with the fact that these are not thin pads, but are a full inch thick. MontBell told us the pads are available in Japan but they haven’t decided whether to bring the pads to the US market. All three BPL staffers present “highly” encouraged MontBell to do the right thing and bring them over.
- There is a single seam in the center of the pad to reduce flashing weight at the edges
- The valve is lighter than standard
- All four corners have toggles so pads can be linked together
- The foam is not die-cut and is claimed to be warmer than standard lightweight self-inflating pads
- Webbing and buckle system secure the provided stuff sack at the head of the pad for a pillow
- 40d fabric cover