This course was initially live-streamed online, and is now available as a recorded version.
“Thanks so much for offering this masterclass! I also wanted to thank you for all the amazing content you have been offering. The podcasts are great, and your video/written gear reviews have been fantastic! Keep up the great work!” – Peter O. (Unlimited Member)
Watch the Course Preview:
“Thanks for a great masterclass!” – Shawn T. (Unlimited Member)
The Masterclass Program
Ryan designed this program specifically for helping hikers prepare for challenging treks that might be longer duration, longer distance, difficult terrain, mountainous, and/or in more inclement conditions.
- Duration: 3 hours 45 minutes
- Introduction and overview of lightweight backpacking philosophy and principles
- Backpacking gear for inclement fringe-season conditions, off-trail, high mountain, remote environment
- The Relationships Between Route Planning, Training, and Food Requirements
- Gear Previews of New Gear of Interest to Fringe Season Backpackers
- Participant Q&A
“I enjoyed the class and the information you provided! I am looking forward to rewatching the recorded version…I am appreciative that you offered this opportunity to learn more about hiking in inclement weather. Thank you for offering your expertise.” – Pamela S. (Premium Member)
The Masterclass Video Course
- 3 hours and 45 minutes of video content in HD.
The Trip Planner Spreadsheet Application
- Access to Ryan’s detailed Trip Planner Spreadsheet Application (Google Sheet) that you can then download and adapt for your own personal use, and interact with Ryan and other masterclass participants directly in the comments section (here’s a public preview version of the spreadsheet here, comments hidden).
- Detailed course notes with gear commentary, research notes, and links to gear featured in the course (includes both downloadable PDF and HTML versions).
- Downloadable (PDF) and printable slide deck with 80+ slides that you can print and take notes on during the course.
Unlimited Membership Discount
- Unlimited Membership discount code in case you decide to become an Unlimited Member – your entire course enrollment fee can be applied towards an Unlimited Membership.
The Masterclass Addendum Email Series
- The Masterclass Addendum is a series of six lessons, delivered via email daily starting 24-48 hours after you register. These lessons contain additional education expanding on some of the key areas we address in the masterclass:
- Trip planning
- Dyneema Composite Fabrics
- Down vs. synthetic insulation
- Calorie energetics
- Cooking systems and strategies for inclement weather
- Tying it all together (seeing it in action – videos)
About the Presenter
Ryan Jordan founded Backpacking Light 19 years ago with the simple mission of providing high-quality education to hikers to help them make informed decisions about buying outdoor gear and to help them become experts themselves about lightweight backpacking. Ryan’s personal backpacking passion focuses on traveling long distances without resupply, inclement conditions and winter backpacking, and off-trail mountain routes. Ryan holds engineering degrees from Washington State (B.S. and M.S.) and Montana State (Ph.D.) Universities and has spent his entire career focusing on online and live outdoor guiding, education, and equipment systems design. Ryan has developed and delivered outdoor education programs to the US Department of Defense, National Outdoor Leadership School, Boy Scouts of America, American Red Cross, Federal Emergency Management Agency, search and rescue organizations, university outdoor programs, and others for the purpose of disseminating authoritative and accurate information about wilderness travel. Ryan resides in Laramie, Wyoming with his wife Stephanie and son Chase.
About Backpacking Light
Backpacking Light is a membership-based community that promotes the exchange of information and education about lightweight backpacking gear, skills, and philosophy that is both authoritative and comprehensive. Since November 2000, Backpacking Light has been known in the outdoor industry as being a thorn in the side of backpacking gear manufacturers because it strives to educate, rather than manipulate, consumers. Backpacking Light promotes a “pack less, be more” philosophy (less is better) because backpackers who buy less gear are more intentional about what they do buy and experience the outdoors more (because they spend less money on gear and are able to spend more time on the trail). Backpacking Light has been featured in the LA Times, Outside Magazine, Outdoor Photographer, Scouting Magazine, Fast Company, Men’s Journal, Gear Junkie, Boy’s Life, the Associated Press, National Public Radio, Digital Trends, the Travel Channel, and others.