One thing we discovered at this OR is that Kelty is catching the ultralight bug. While one could argue whether their gear is lightweight or ultralight, the point is Kelty has some serious interest in entering the lightweight arena. We looked over their Sawtooth 2-person double wall tent and saw some true innovation. The Sawtooth comes in at 28 square feet and a minimum weight of 3 pounds 9 ounces.
The Kelty Sawtooth is a lightweight 2-person double wall tent with one side entry. Note the single diagonal pole and two corner struts to support the canopy.
The tent is basically a mono-pole design, with one main looped diagonal pole and two shorter struts at the other two corners to extend the canopy. The inner tent has a mesh ceiling for good ventilation, the poles are Featherlite aluminum, and the fly is silicone coated nylon. There is one entry door with vestibule.
Other tents in their “ultralight” series include the Stick, which is a solo pyramid style tent with a minimum weight of 2 pounds 8 ounces, and the Ridge which has one hubbed multi-pole and has a minimum weight of 3 pounds 12 ounces. The Ridge (which we did not get to see) has two doors and two vestibules and weighs only 3 ounces more than the Sawtooth, so its specifications gained our highest interest.
Specifications and Features
- Manufacturer: Kelty (www.kelty.com)
- Style: 2-person double wall tent, one door with vestibule
- Fabrics: 33d nylon ripstop tent walls, 1800mm nylon taffeta tent floor, 30d 3000 mm silicone coated nylon ripstop fly
- Poles: 8.5 mm Featherlite aluminum
- Features: one door, one vestibule, taped floor seams, side-wall vents, internal storage pockets, side-release buckle tent fly connections, mesh ceiling
- Weight: minimum weight = 3 pounds 9 ounces, packed weight = 4 pounds 3 ounces
- MSRP: $275