You’ve seen those light, colorful, foam shoes that are so popular now. The Crocs brand seem to be everywhere, but the original design is from Waldies who are relaunching their line at this OR show. And the shoes from Canadian distributer Holey Soles are out of the same mold as the other two – literally. It seems that all three brands used to come from the same manufacturer. Then Crocs bought the factory and the other companies needed to find new factories. The rumor is that Holey Soles came away with the original foam recipe and took it to another manufacturer. Waldies designed a new foam meant to have more cushion and has now relaunched their line. And in the meantime, Crocs has greatly expanded their style choices.
So, which company makes the lightest shoe – Holey Soles, Crocs, or the original Waldies?
Holey Soles wins. Photo to the right is of the Holey Soles Social (top) and Explorer shoes(bottom).
Weight per pair for women’s size 8 or 8/9 shoe with enclosed forefoot and toe, rear strap (this style is a favorite on the AT)
- Holey Soles Explorer: 8.5 oz, $29.99
- Waldies AT: 8.8 oz, $29.95 (click here for more info)
- Crocs Cayman: 10.2, $29.99
The original Walldies.
The Waldies are 0.3 ounces heavier than the Holey Soles, but run large and wide (the Holey Soles size W-10/11 M-8/9 are just long enough for my size 11+ feet while the Waldies in the same size have about half an inch of extra length), and have what looks like a slightly more aggressive tread and a softer footbed feel right out of the box than the Holey Soles shoes. The Holey Soles distributer said that his shoes soften during the first wearing and I can confirm that.
Crocs, Holey Soles, and Waldies both offer lighter models – who wins the overall title for lightest camp shoe?
Holey Soles again.
Weight per pair for women’s size 8 or 8/9 shoe
- Holey Soles Social (closed forefoot and toe, no rear strap): 7.8 oz
- Waldies Classic (closed forefoot and toe, no rear strap): 8.1 oz
- Crocs Scoots (slide style with open toe, available May ’06): 8.1
- Crocs Athens (flip-flop style, available Mar ’06): 8.4 oz
Crocs Athens and Scoots.
Features and Specifications
- Weight: Holey soles Explorer 8.5 oz per pair, Social 7.8 oz women’s size 8/9
- Styles: Explorer, Provider (same but no holes), Social (same but no rear strap)
- Sizes: Cricket (kids 9-10, Explorer only), XXS, XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL (men 12-13)
- Features: antimicrobial, EVA closed cell foam
- MSRP: $29.99 Explorer, $26.99 Social