My inside source (let's call him Mortimer) at an outdoor industry trade association tells me attendance at ORWM'09 (in terms of visitor-days) will be down significantly this year.
Some of this must be attributed to the economy. People are traveling less, and for shorter periods, to save money. Mortimer tells me that hundreds of faithful OR attendees may be skipping out this year, and most of the rest will be shortening their stay.
Maybe an environmental idealist will avoid going to the show to save on CO2 emissions. I almost never think about my own impact when driving down to Salt Lake City from Bozeman, but I can't help to start adding it all up in my head when I walk onto the Salt Palace floor and think to myself: "Do we all really need to be here?"
- A Heavy Industry, a Heavy Trade Show, and a Heavy Cost
- Syndicating Information from Outdoor Retailer: The State of Communications Technologies
- Seeking Ultralight Needles in a Heavy Stack of Heavy Hay
- Social Media Contamination
- Moving Towards Lighter Information Technologies
- Backpacking Light and Social Media
# WORDS: 1080