Topic

Zpacks Pocket Tarp w/ Doors Unboxing and -1.0 oz Hack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks Pocket Tarp w/ Doors Unboxing and -1.0 oz Hack

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Anyone else find the doors-when being used and a bit loose? Even with what feels like a good pitch I can’t get the doors taught like I can with my Duplex.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

Usually that happens when the front two tie outs are not stretched far enough. I usually pitch the front two, put the hiking pole and pitch the center, close the doors and check if the doors are taut. If not, I adjust the front two and then proceed to pitch the other ones in the back. The front two and the pole should form a straight line.

On the SHR, there were lots of places where I could not pitch because of granite and so the front two were not ideally distanced and I used to have such issues. If you fix those problems, then it usually works out great.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

“On the SHR, there were lots of places where I could not pitch because of granite and so the front two were not ideally distanced and I used to have such issues.”

When there’s no dirt to pitch in the Sierra—there’s usually plenty of rocks. I set my stake in a small pile. Works about as good as dirt. Granted, not as easy to adjust/fine tune, perhaps. You probably know this.

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

These linelocs look like the “tensionlock” brand, and in my tests, they did slip under load with such a thin line. However, I found a workaround – described here.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

Yeah – I noticed that. I wasn’t sure if it was due to stakes moving and causing the slip or the linelocs. I was going to change to thicker ones. I am disappointed that Zpacks would sell a shelter with slipping lines. I was also debating removing the linelocs and using knots. I am not sure I get your hack with the linelocks they come with.

Maybe that is why their weights keep going up from 5.3 to 6.1 oz now.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@ Murali C, I thought I had it pitched ok with the corners tight. I even pulled them really tight-temporarily-and it didn’t impact the door much. Here is the pitch- https://streamable.com/5ml5zq

Could this be from the pole height? I do set it at 130cm to give more room inside.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

Says video is private…

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Sorry, fixed.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

One observation is that the back of the tent is too low perhaps. Your pole is probably slanted back. Can you increase the height of the pole and keep the pole either straight or leaning forward a little. Also, can you see if you can just pitch the front two sides and the front center with the doors closed and see how tight the doors are?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

nice video.  That is a good looking tarp for fairly good weather.  Love the low weight.

There are two mid panel tie-outs on the rear.  Maybe those should be angled out more towards the corners of the tarp.

There’s a mid panel tie-out on the front.  Maybe undo that one.

Funny that so simple a problem can be so difficult.  I have noticed the same thing with regular pyramid tents, sometimes difficult to set up with all panels taught

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

also the front two sides tie outs seem to be coming forward a little towards the center. Maybe if you can angle the them a little back.

I put the left front tie out first. Then I loosen the right one completely and then I pull it back 10 inches or so towards the tarp and then insert the stake. Then put the pole and the center tie out. Close the doors and see if they are taut. Else adjust. Then proceed to the other ones.

Always pull the tie outs as far out as possible to get a taut pitch (except the right front side where I walk back 10 inches and adjust afterwards if front doors are not tight).

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Thanks all, I will give these suggestions a try and see what I can do.

Alex V
    BPL Member

@valleyjo

Locale: North Cascades

@gearmaker there was some discussion in this thread about smaller diameter line tangling. How did the 0.75 fishing line work out this season?

How long did you cut these guylines? Do you think they’d work with the Skurka system (long guy lines + knots) shown in the other thread as well?

I’m considering using your fishing line idea for the extra guy out points on my duplex. My thinking is that I won’t always need them so lightweight line would be a good trade off. Depending on how that goes maybe I could switch all the guylines out.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

“It almost never rains where I live …”

Though you touched on insects, am wondering about them, and their larger relatives, like scorpions.  And years ago, there were reports of venomous snakes coming into tents and even sleeping bags.  So am wondering if both the fauna and the weather have changed in the Western US to the extent that tents and tarps no longer need to be buttoned up to avoid such pests and don’t need to be very impermeable and wind resistant to keep out heavy rain and wind storms.

In the past these were concerns when camping in northern New England and Colorado.  Spoke on the phone to the USFS folks in Walden CO last July, and they were in the “middle of the monsoon season,” in the Rawah and Never Summer wilderness areas.   Add to this concerns about wildfires in 2020.   Yet when hiking there a month later in August 2021, there were no surprising differences with prior weather patterns or critters.

So would appreciate hearing thoughts concerning current issues with weather and wildlife in the West in the present day.  Began tramping with dogs (shelties and aussies) over 20 years ago, and have had no issues since with larger critters that were common before then; so that was one issue addressed.  Thanks.

P.S.  The dogs have never gone after animals of any kind.  They are on leash most of the time, and just their mere presence with me seems to be enough.  That may not apply to all breeds, though.

Jason W
    BPL Member

@jwoods

Great thread about a great little shelter.

I have paired mine with the sea to summit nano net and thought I’d share how I got it to fit nicely. See video below.

YouTube video

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Oh wow. Going through the trekking pole strap to a stick-on loop is a great idea! Very clever.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Alex: I had no problem with the 0.75 lines getting tangled. The problem I had was that my micro line locs weren’t able to hold such a small cord securely. If you can find them small enough it’s a great hack.

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!