Topic

Zenbivy (Ultralight)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zenbivy (Ultralight)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

Thought I’d start a post. Their new quilt offering with 900 fill power down and 10d Pertex Quantum fabric 10/20 large @ 1 pound 14 ounces., priced accordingly $$$$659 is very tempting. Except price. HMG 20* is $150 cheaper. I have a vest with the Quantum that I like a lot. It has a very nice feel to it and has held up. Would you pay this much?

https://zenbivy.com/pages/ultralight-bed

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

Grossly overpriced in my opinion.  Wonder where it is made? A Western Mountaineering or Nunatak handmade in USA would be less money l, as well as a comparable quilt from other reputable companies.

Nicholas P
    BPL Member

@io

Locale: Acadia National Park

IDK , I agree 10D Pertex is a nice fabric but if that is what you are looking for Katabatic Gear uses Pertex quantum eco in their quilts and they have a more efficient/differential cut with arguably better foot box designs and a proven and more streamlined attachment system, at a much better price. Zen Bivy’s system and marketing comes across a little gimmicky and misleading to me. They seem to be trying to merge Car camping and Backpacking and now and with this UL backpacking ,which I guess is fine and it does seem like a decent attempt to fill a very small niche . I think It might be a good system if you are truly a thrasher but to me it’s not that compelling and Falls a bit short in several ways. I think there are better more refined options out there and at a better price. Also I don’t see where they state what baffle design they are using, leading me to believe that like HMG it may be a sewn through and not a walled design.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Sorry for any thread drift, but I don’t quite understand those backcountry bed set ups. It seems like you just end up with a very finicky and complicated mummy bag. The ultimate set up that I have found which combines minimal weight, versatility, and a luxurious night of sleep is to pair a high-quality, baffled down quilt (e.g., Katabatic A1sek) with a separate insulated hood (e.g., Z-Packs down or MLD Apex). The benefit is that the hood follows you if you are a rotisserie sleeper, you can wear it around camp, it weighs next to nothing, and it’s soooo warm.

Nicholas P
    BPL Member

@io

Locale: Acadia National Park

Philip, I for one don’t think that was at all thread drift and I very much agree with your statement .

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I just ordered one of clearance sheet sets with a hood to try it out. Maybe not UL, but I’m intrigued by the hood and attachment system. They gave me instructions on how to use it with an EE quilt.

I am also considering their discounted shipping 40F synthetic quilt as an over quilt for snow camping.  I’m definitely not looking for another down quilt with an HG 20+, EE 30 and Loco Libre 50 already in the quiver,  but I would not rule them out if I were. Kudos for trying something new, innovating and discounting old models.

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

Many (most?) mummy bags have less fill underneath leaving the back cold when rolled over on your side, taking the bag with you while you sleep and don’t even know it.  That won’t happen with the zen, so its especially useful for side sleepers.  It tries to give the cozyness of a bag without the side sleeping and toss and turn draftiness of a quilt.  Some love it, but seems too bulky me

The zen fixed hood doesn’t look side sleeper friendly though.

Ted C
    BPL Member

@ted2009me-com

I couldn’t get past the price.  I made a 10*F baffled down quilt using materials from Ripstop by the Roll.  They were out of down so I got the down on line, don’t remember the company.  Not counting my labor, it cost me about $225.

Teddy
    BPL Member

@bullhorn

I have Zenbivy’s light quilt and really like it.  I have owned many of the other popular quilts and this by far has given me the best deep sleep so far.  Those wings you attached into really do make a difference with draft control especially if you are a rotisserie roller, side sleeper, and/or  irregular sleeper like me.  Also, the attached hood is a feature that at first I didn’t think would be meaningful but I really love it and how unlike a sleeping bag you don’t have to consciously align your head with the small opening for your face and expelling breath.  This provides a wide opening for your face so you don’t have to worry about it.  And unlike a traditional quilt it is there to hold your pillow in place all night and keep you warm without constriction to your head, neck or even shoulders (like I find on many other quilts since that is the end of the quilt where you tighten the draw string and the quilt is pulled tighter to you to create a seal), and in the morning serves as an eye mask so you can sleep in longer.  There’s been a couple of times where I’ve had to pry myself out of my sleep because i was just so cozy in there.

Their new 10 degree UL offering definitely is pricier than other quilts out there but their UL 25 degree seems more reasonably priced and comparable to other manufacturers’ same offerings.  And if you are okay with a few more ounces their Light models are below market price points.  I’ve noticed Zenbivy seems to have frequent sales around 15-30% off that might help a bit. (automatic 10% off for joining their mailing list now).

Finally, I’ve noticed a majority of naysayers haven’t tried the Zenbivy and those that have really love it.  I feel like it is one of those products that goes beyond quantitative analysis, and excels in innovative qualitative aspects that are often harder to measure and provide specs on.  I say if you aren’t really happy with your bag, quilt, or quality of sleep, or you are still getting drafts no matter what you’ve tried so far, then take a bolder step and try this out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!