Topic

Winter is here. My season is over. πŸ˜”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Winter is here. My season is over. πŸ˜”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    BPL Member

@skinnypete

I mainly backpack in the Sierras, or the coast if I can get a reservation. Unless I get something for Point Reyes in the Winter months, this is where I call it quits fkr the rest of the year.

But it sure does feel good to be organized. 😁

Garage

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I prefer the winter

Not uncomfortably hot

Few people

Few bugs

But yeah, a lot of places are unavailable because of snow and weather

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

You would likely snicker at what is called β€œwinter” here in the SE US, but winter is my jam! No heat, no bugs, few people…the woods are mine!

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

There’s a whole lotta Los Padres that is very explorable in the winter time, most of which doesn’t require much in the way of permits. Backpacking is a year-round affair as far as I’m concerned, especially in CA. Don’t even need real winter gear to do it!

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

My wife and I have had to cancel so many late August/September backpacking trips, here in WA state (due to Forest fire smoke) that we started winter backpacking a couple of years ago-to try to get back trips lost due to smoke. In winter there’s no fire smoke problems, less people, and it is beautiful beyond all measure. If the temps aren’t going to drop below 15 F or so, and if the winds are < 10mphΒ  then we generally go..and have a great time!

Backpacking year-round helps maintain our backpacking level of fitness. By the time spring-time comes, we are tough, strong, and used to carrying heavy packs while using snowshoes. So, in Spring/summer, with lighter packs everything seems much easier! Our sleeping bags are only rated to a 20 degree F comfort level, and in our tent, which has a mostly fabric liner (i.e., it is not all mesh) it is usually about 5 degrees warmer than the outside air. So, our sleeping setup in winter is pretty much the same as in spring/summer/Autumn. I do use X-therm mat in winter/spring, with X-lite in Summer/Autumn.

We don’t hike as far in the winter, as the days are short and snow travel takes more energy (we use snowshoes).

The night time is long in winter, for sure, so, we get a little extra sleep.

It’s an overall win!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Paul S – that is a beautiful campsite!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

you can make a fire in the winter.Β  watch it when it gets dark.Β  a way to deal with shorter winter days

as opposed to summers when they don’t let you build a fire anymore

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

We aren’t even in winter yet, here in Fairbanks. Chilly rainy weather requires some planning though. A day hike needs a good thermos of hot tea! I’m hoping to maintain my fitness this year and not let it slide. A marathon last week and a half marathon next week will help. The hardest time is when it’s dark early, and I can’t get away at lunchtime. But there are always stairs…And when I can sneak away, there’s this.fall road

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

For me, this is a great time in the sierras. Low crowds, no bugs, trees turning color, and generally no or limited snow. This will end for me in a month or two… I gave up hard core snow trips a few years ago.

I still enjoy the winter though: Ventana Wilderness, Henry Coe, etc can be wonderful once the summer heat has passed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!