Topic

Western Mountaineering Flylite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Western Mountaineering Flylite

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    drew doty
    BPL Member

@saltyotter

Curious if anyone has used this?  I was thinking of getting a summerlite but saw this and now I have a decision to make.  I like that the Flylite has a top collar for keeping the heat in.  They are very similar as far as the cut goes but different as far as other features.  My main reservation with the Flylite is the outer face fabric.  Its a 10D and I am hesitant to pull the trigger because I feel that the thinner fabric doesn’t insulate as well.  Maybe im wrong, but I haven’t owned a bag with less than 12D.  An Ultralite.   I was going to pair both bags with a down hoody and base layers.  I will be sleeping inside of an Altaplex or Double Rainbow.  I guess Im curious what other think of this new bag.  It weighs 13ozs total.

drew doty
    BPL Member

@saltyotter

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I’ve never heard of the Flylite and it’s not listed on WM’s website.   I used to own a Summerlite as well as an Ultralite and they were great bags.  I wouldn’t think the face fabric would change insulation though it may not be as windproof in windy conditions for cowboy camping, etc but I doubt it would make much difference in your shelter.

Lower denier fabric may be less durable, but I’ve been impressed with the lighter fabric that Mont-Bell uses and have had no durability concerns.  I know WM tests extensively (they’ve done testing on DWR down and have yet to make the switch) so I’m sure the fabric is reasonably durable.

13oz is dang light!  My mid summer bag is an old BPL Cocoon quilt that is 13oz but it’s only good to about 45*F at best.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Pretty slim cut with a 59″ shoulder girth and a 51″ hip. It would probably be okay for someone who’s under 170 lbs though. The 10d shell is no big deal as long as you’re careful. Heck, as you know you can buy 7d quilts. WM has always been known for accurate temp ratings, but the Flylite at 34 degrees I have to really question. I mean only 7 oz of 850 fill  (6′ version)? I don’t buy it. A 40* bag maybe.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

I’d certainly trust their ratings, but this bag is just going to be too tight to be comfortable for me

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

At 60″ wide I couldn’t get the zipper done up, that is a very slim bag

Robert Spencer
    BPL Member

@bspencer

Locale: Sierras of CA and deserts of Utah

Big fan of WM. My wife has had her Ultralight for 20 years and it’s going strong.

Personally, I have no issues with the dimensions of the bag in the original post, but I do question the temp rating.

My SummerLite with 9 oz of fill was not warm enough for summer Sierra trips up high. Some nights it was fine, but I run a bit cold and quickly realized I needed more warmth, and sadly more weight in my pack. Even paired with insulating layers of clothing it would make me nervous to carry a bag with less down than the SummerLite.

If you try it, please let us know how it performs.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

hmmmm

the Summerlite which is basically the same dimensions, uses 9 oz of down- this bag uses 2 oz less (20%) and comes with basically the same rating (32 & 34)

FF’s Flicker which is also a pretty narrow bag (62/48/39) uses 12 oz (of 950 down!) for a 30 degree rating- 42% more down (and higher lofting down)

their 40 degree Flicker uses 8.4 oz

something doesn’t quite seem to add up????

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I have always said that anything Western Mountaineering is a recommended buy.  However, the points made by @mtwarden regarding down weights, the fact that the Flylite does not appear on the WM website, and the “special edition” label on Backcountry would all cause me to take a pass on this one.

If the Summerlite ticks all your boxes, I’d stick with that.

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

Re: Temp rating..

I’ve slept, quite comfortably, into the 24-25 degree range..in my Summerlite.

Of course, temp ratings are relative to the sleeper.. one persons 32 degrees can feel like 42 degrees to another.

LOVE the bag !

drew doty
    BPL Member

@saltyotter

I really like the design of the bag but would like to see it rated as a 25F.  This design in an “Ultralite model” style seems ideal for me.  I like that it has a top collar that the summer lite does not have. I will probably stick with the summer lite.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

well I admit this bag peaked my interest, but still very much convinced that 7 oz of down (regardless of quality) would get you to 34 degrees; with that in mind I thought what about with 2 more ounces of fill?

that might be pretty close then

they ofter the Summerlite w/ a 2 oz overfill option, thought it only logical the very similar Flylite would as well.  first checked with Hermit’s Hut as they offer free overfill, they said no dice; decided to check directly with WM and they also said no dice- possibly in the future????

my peaked interest is no longer peaked

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

For me, a Megalite owner, the Flylite feels tight, “Not enough room to change my mind”.

After 12 years  with my Megalite I’ve decided to add down to the zipper baffle with some DWP treated down I have from another project. But otherwise it’s doing fine, especially since I sent it back to have it overfilled due to a frigid 24 F.night on the PCT near Olancha Peak in August. Now it’s good to at least 20 F. I’ve been comfortable with Polar weight base layers to 15 F. – that’s 15 F. inside my Tarptent Moment DW so likely 8 F. outside.

However that Flylite collar is a nice addition for cold nights. You never understand how much a collar contributes to keeping warmth until you have one.  Wish my Megalite had one. But my -20 F. LL Bean winter bag has a great collar, natch.

bmcf
    Spectator

@brucemcf

Though the posts here are over a year old I wanted to address them because during my search for the FlyLite this post caught my attention and I wanted to add information to help others who might read it in the future.

I just purchased a FlyLite, it’s a 6’ length and weighs 15.07 oz on my scale. It replaces my Western Mountaineering HighLite bag which I gave to my son last year. I have owned their UltraLite, SummerLite, and HighLite. All three bags have the same inside girth dimensions: shoulder/hip/foot: 59″/51″/38″, which works for me, I’m a thin distance runner.

The FlyLite is shown on Western Mountaineering’s website and it is listed as a 36F bag at 14 oz. The HighLite is listed as 35F at 16 oz, and the SummerLite is listed as 32F at 19 oz.
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>The “special edition” designation mentioned had to do with a special “silver” gray outside fabric color production run they did for their 50th anniversary last year. The standard outside fabric color is orange.</p>
    How’s the temperature rating? Have only had warmer than usual weather on my backpacks this summer. Also, the HighLite has been fine for me on many trips, but I sleep warm, so the FlyLite is a nice variation of the HighLite with the FlyLite having a top collar, draft tube and no sewn through seams compared to the HighLite.

I hope this post helps others considering the FlyLite. Western Mountaineering does quality bags that are sewn here in the United States.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools