Topic

UL Camp Sandals

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear UL Camp Sandals

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Inspired by this thread I wanted to try making some UL camp sandals.

I had a couple of old CCF yoga mats laying around, which seemed like good material to try.

Didn’t like the idea of cords penetrating the sole or walking on knots so made this with two layers. The cords with knots at ankle and across base of toes wrap around and under the top layer. Can’t feel them. Foot and sole held securely together for actual walking; your foot stays in place and doesn’t roll out the sides or slide back and forth. Layers bonded with E6000.

The two CCF’s are quite different. The light blue is soft and cushy, the dark blue much stiffer. Poured water on polished granite and rubbed with samples of each to determine which had better traction.

The paracord is heavy af. With lighter cord I’m sure the weight can be reduced to 1.0 oz or less.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

David – Nice solution – and I’m guessing it will be tough to find anything much lighter.  Well done!

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Link: Thanks for the links. Nice research. A popular subject!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

David yours is a very nice addition, well done!

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

If letting your feet breathe is not a concern, then I’ve heard someone report success by wearing their wet shoes with a pair of GTX socks over dry liner socks.  GTX socks weigh maybe an ounce.

I think exposing your feet to the air is important, but I suppose in certain conditions it’s not practical.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Replaced the paracord with some UMWDPE and simplified the design:

Glued the cord to the sole with E6000 and sprayed on some PlastiDip for traction.

This is the lightest version, but I would use it only on smooth dirt, sand, snow because rocks are painful to walk on:

These work on rock:

“Heavier” versions with increased padding and/or durability:

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

Timely thread for me as I was just about to toss an old yoga pad. I’ll give this a try. Thank you!

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Cool. Post pictures!

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Trying out a pair of these. The light blue foam wasn’t ccf after all and absorbs water so it’s out, and have some doubts about the traction and abrasion resistance of the dark blue ccf, so decided to go with the cross-hatch eva floor mat material. It’s made to be walked on, so I figure it has the best traction and abrasion resistance, and being denser it definitely does a better job protecting your foot when stepping on small/sharp stones. Decided to penetrate the sole with the cord to minimize potential usability issues if the E6000 glue doesn’t hold the layers together for some reason, and I think it’s more stable too. Glued the cord to the bottom of the sole and then sprayed with Plasti-Dip to protect it.

Not the lightest, but for a 3-week trip the most likely to go the distance.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!