Topic

Toe bang from trail runners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Toe bang from trail runners

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Justin Dong
    BPL Member

@jdongg

I recently started backpacking using inov-8 trail runners (specifically the roclite 280). I go running (up to 10 miles on my weekly long run) in these all the time and they feel great. I’ve done some intense day hikes (with a light pack) and they also held up well.

This past week, I’ve done quite a bit of backpacking using these shoes for the first time. My pack is around 28 pounds total.

I’m having a problem with toe bang on my left big toe. After 35 miles, the bottom 2/3 of my left big toenail is bruised and starting to blacken. The shoes honestly feel great while I’m backpacking in them, with the exception that if I stub my foot on a hard root or rock (happens sometimes when I’m going downhill), I’ll feel a really sharp pain (more than is normal for stubbing a foot on a rock) that subsided after a minute or so. I just chalked it up to the fact that the inov-8’s are much thinner than some of the approach shoes I’ve backpacked in.

But I was just at REI today and found out my shoes might actually be too small. I generally wear a size 8 (men’s) running shoe, with my regular shoes either 7 or 7.5. I know, I know I have tiny feet. I’ve never had a problem with size 8 running shoes before, and I run quite a lot. When measured barefoot, I was about an 8. This was a couple hours after I finished a two-day backpacking trip, so I don’t know if that plays into sizing at all.

I know the bruised toenail points to my shoes being too small, but I guess I’m just a bit confused. I’ve ordered a half size up in the inov-8 in the meantime, since I really do love them. In the meantime though, I’m just wondering how I could possibly have been wearing running shoes that were supposedly too tight this whole time. Like I said, I have zero problems running long distances in them. I have no pain or discomfort anywhere except the big toe on my left foot, which gets toe bang on descending. And, probably the most obvious part, it doesn’t FEEL like the shoe is too tight, though perhaps it’s been too tight for so long I’ve just adapted to it, that’s the only thing I can think of

I have a short backpacking trip this weekend and unfortunately the new shoes won’t be here in time, so I’ll have to make do with these. I’ll try lacing a bit tighter and actually using the extra lace hole that I haven’t been using.

Any tips or thoughts in the meantime, though?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Your diagnosis is probably 100% correct: your shoes are too small.At least a 1/2 size, possibly a full size.

Put shoes on, lace up
    Now, can you insert a finger between your heel and the back of the shoe?
    If not, then the shoes are too small.

Oh yes: do not imagine that your feet are both the same size. They NEVER are! You will have to buy for the larger of the two.

Can I recommend some nice thick wool/synthetic Darn Tough Vermont walking socks (Amazon) to protect your feet? These are the Gold Standard for walking socks. Btw: NEVER cotton socks.

Cheers

Cheers

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

I wear Saucony trail runners and my normal size 9.5 fits great and I trail run in them a couple of times a week and do day hikes as well without issue. The first time that I wore them on a multi-day hike with creek crossings I lost a couple of toes nails. So, I sized up a 1/2 size to a 10 and no more problems. I know my feet swell some on multi-days hikes.

+1 on the darn tough socks.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I always size up a bit on my trail runners, feet naturally swell after a few hours and the little extra room in the toe area is always welcome.  BTW feet grow (lengthen) over time- I was a size 9 for a long time, then a 9.5 and now a 10 (but purchase 10.5 or occasionally even a 11).

+2 on Darn Tough socks :)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

You should try to isolate why your left big toe is getting banged. It could be the shoe is too short. It could be that shoe is not holding your foot well, causing it to slide forward on the downhill and toe bag. It could also be that the vertical height volume in the toe box is not tall enough, causing the top of your toe to hit the top of the toe box rather than hitting the front. Try removing the insole and see if that changes anything.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools