Topic

Time – Temps – Terrain for 60+ Hikers/Backpackers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Time – Temps – Terrain for 60+ Hikers/Backpackers

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Ummm…yes, that meets my definition of a tough elevation day, for sure. Where the heck were you hiking when you did this?

I’ve posted these before. The first one was just before my 59th birthday and the second just before my 60th. Craig Wisner joined my on the second one — a seemingly incompatible duo that turned into a friendship. When I was younger I would just start from my house which added 6 miles round trip. My concession to “old age” was to drive to the trailhead.

http://popupbackpacker.com/backpacking/trip-reports/san-jacinto-loop-2009/

http://popupbackpacker.com/backpacking/trip-reports/san-jacinto-loop-2010/

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Roger, can I borrow your wife, since I still don’t have a Spot device?
    But neither do I. And who is going to look after me then?

I NEED her!

Cheers

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

I find myself driving more and hiking less because of it. I have a clear view of Pike’s Peak, but I’d have to jump many fences to get there. With large fields of grassland all around me, I find a lot of solitude and serenity in my backyard.
    Nick. Have you ever gone up Whitewater/Mission Creek?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Have you ever gone up Whitewater/Mission Creek?

Many, many times. Seen a few bears along Whitewater over the years. When I was younger I hiked from my house to the peak of San Gorgonio a couple times.

Wish I had known you lived in Colorado. I was in Colorado Springs for my 50th class reunion in September. We could have gotten together.

Here’s a couple pictures from the spring around the Mission Creek Road area.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

Air Force?

I went with a friend up Vivian trail to around 10,000’. That point shortly before the peak in your first picture. Then we dropped down a few thousand feet into Whitewater. Found a better route after that, just going straight up Mill Creek and climb the jumpoff. Made several trips that way, coming out through Banning, or the reservation, or Mission Creek.

Found a small tunnel in south fork. About 10’ up the side of a cliff. Went up a rotted rope ladder to find a small room off to the side. An old rusted shovel, a hand drill, and the remnants of a sleeping bag. It was my buddy that spotted it. He’s got tunnel vision I guess.

The Conservancy had just acquired Mission Creek.  We put the slats up for them on the stone cabins. I helped them plant a few trees. Small stuff.  I never saw anybody else out there, other than them. They didn’t go past the road. It was like my personal playground.
    I think you can go straight up Mission creek now. There was private property, but you can get around it by climbing a small hill. Once you’re on the ridge, it’s easy and it meets up with the PCT that takes you back along Mission Creek.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I’ve been in various backpacking clubs (“overnighters”) and the number of older hikers decreases with age.  There’s physical health but also I’ve noticed even mental health can affect older hikers who have had excellent physical conditioning.

Big thing beyond general health is take care of skeletal muscle, as your cartilage, etc.. cannot really repair itself quickly regardless of age (it’s a blood supply thing).  Here’s a reviewed article on leg exercises from an older hiker (age 81) now a trainer, who was told he had “too thin” cartilage over a quarter century ago.   Muscle tone also helps for physical therapy after getting knee replacement surgery.

https://www.wellandgood.com/exercises-arthritic-knees/

I started backpacking pretty late (mid 30s) and a little over 20 years later I’m trying to get the bucket list of longer hikes (or bikes) done.  In my 60s, my plan is to hike the “state long” long trails.  I had a desk job as my last temporary assignment before earlier retirement, .. and that wasn’t very good for my health.  By training about everyday (even if only a couple miles of brisk walks/runs), I’ve been able to improve my “daily mileage” on an ultralight trips, though I’m not usually fast (see below).

If I need to lose weight, I’ll walk/jog a bit more pre-dawn before any calories .. just a cup of water.  Now I have 1 “cheat day” diet-wise but that’s also weight lifting day.   My slightly younger brother facing a weight/cholesterol problem was told by a doctor ..

.. if it’s delicious it’s not for you ..

but also think people need one day to enjoy before returning to broccoli/kale salad with air fried tofu “surprise” the other 6 days of the week. Also there’s a limit to dieting as too much calorie restriction can lead to not getting enough nutrients.  Then there’s genetics which are beyond the realm here, but think trying to be “healthy” as possible is enjoyable in of itself (and broccoli can be made better w/a pinch of salt .. almost as delicious as bacon once your taste buds are trained).

Time: I can now hike a mid 20 under “UL conditions” but the slower the better.

Temperature: 3-season.  I actually like snow and winter, but didn’t like my hot coffee icing over.

Terrain: Everywhere I go, usually there’s a rule to follow the trail network due to LNT guidelines.  Not that I mind getting off trail if there’s some scenery.

Goals: keep on keeping on. Probably add more stretching and even yoga.

My family wonders why not just sit on front of one of those Peloton machines, sweating to the music?   Maybe the views?

(Trip from a couple months ago .. Crater Lake OR even though a fall deng near took out my knee a few days prior [shoelace snag] .. next day the wildfire smoke came in so you gotta hike it fast in late summer).

Just to add another thing is not comparing oneself to younger hikers.  They can haul heavy loads for many miles daily with enough trail miles.

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!