Topic

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir UberLite Sleeping Pad Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Therm-a-Rest NeoAir UberLite Sleeping Pad Review

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

+1

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

And, the durability definitely suffers.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I picked up a UberLite full length when our therma-a-rest (from the 2001) died and we needed a pad for my daughter. She used my NeoAir XTherm, and I switched to the UberLite. It’s been slept on 18 nights now. Covid interfered with plans this year :( The coldest night had a low of 25F with the sitpad from my pack under my hip. Didn’t noticed any cold from below. Used the pad without sitpad at 30F without noticing any cold spots. When on solo trips I was inside a MLD SuperLite bivy. When with family inside a MSR Carbon Reflex 3 tent. I have been delighted so far.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Well, good for you, Mark. 18 nights isn’t much. I think my first NeoAir lasted about 180-200 nights. The second one (on a return from them re: ballooning) lasted about 100 nights. The third one lasted about 80 nights (technically my wife’s, but also used as a loaner…) The 4th one lasted about 120 nights. I have to say the Xlites are OK for durability, the last pair is getting good usage so far at around 80 nights or so. Let me know when you hit 100 nights with no repairs, then it will mean something to me. (It takes about 2-3years to accumulate 100 nights out…not counting 2020!)

Does anyone else have a rough assessment of the number of nights on one?

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Hi James.  I agree 18 nights is nothing (especially given cost), but it’s  way better that the balloonbed I played with many years ago and my first NeoAir was had slow leaks from almost the first use (it was part of the first run that had production issues). It would be great if it will get anywhere near our XTherm which currently has around 350 nights without an issue.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Yeah, 350 is good longevity for an XTherm. I am happy with ~150 with the XLites. My wife and I as well as our two daughters use them rather heavily, I guess. I was only out ~30 nights this year (down from ~60) and didn’t have any problems. Anyway, Good luck with your XTherm!

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Hi Mark,

you mentioned you are going down to the 30s on your uberlite without any cold feeling coming through. I did a similar experiment this last week with my uninsulated AXL and froze my butt off in low 30s.  I thought I would be fine since I experienced similar night air temps in the sierras during the summer, but I think the fact it is winter now and the ground is much colder made the difference in how it performed for me. Have you had the uberlite out in winter conditions, or just cooler 3-season evenings? Just curious, as I was honestly expecting my AXL to not be that bad. As an aside, my experience was also that 1/8” CCF pad on top or bottom, still got me equal amounts of cold butt. It sounds like you had better luck with the uberlite.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I can’t imagine using my uberlite in the winter, brrr. It’s cushion only, not really insulation. I have to go find a blanket now, just thinking about it. Best thing I ever slept on in winter – a caribou hide (not lightweight at all). My old Thermarest Prolite wasn’t too bad in a cold cabin, doubled with a ccf pad and a super warm sleeping bag, even though its R value rating isn’t much better than the uberlite. Somehow the fabric seemed warmer than the uberlite plastic.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!