Topic

The Dirt Catwalk: Modern Layering Ensembles for Backpackers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable The Dirt Catwalk: Modern Layering Ensembles for Backpackers

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

Mjh that’s true but only for absolute stinkiosity.  For relative, it’s still interesting that Brynje smells more than Lifa to me but opposite probably for Tjaard

Perry Clark
    BPL Member

@obi-wan

But is there an Absolute Stinkiosity Threshold that might come into play? I think that could be the case, based on . . . umm, things I’ve heard. Like where the Significant Other (well known to have an olfactory sense much more sensitive to objectionable odors than that of Oneself) has an Absolute Stinkiosity Threshold of 2.5, whereas Oneself has an AST of nearly 7. If it’s a logarithmic score, that’s a pretty incredible difference in detectable stinkiosity.

Piers C
    BPL Member

@piers

To come at the taint issue from another direction. I use a product called nuud rather than deodorants. It works by eliminating the bacteria that cause smell. I normally apply every 3 days, so on a longer hike will take an application worth in a cut off sealed straw. Having said that my preferred choice of next to skin is merino. When cool but wet I happily wear my macpac nitro as a base and find that covers a wide range of conditions if combined with windshirt (I stuff mine in shorts pocket which makes it a very quick to layer up or down) or rain shell. I only reach for brynje in freezing conditions but love it then. The challenge with lower half layering is getting on and off over footwear. For most Australian conditions I use a rain kilt over shorts and use gaiters if bushwhacking.

Nick Garcia
    BPL Member

@saltamontes

Locale: South Florida

Looking to upgrade my rain shell and having a difficult time finding any shakedry shell, what is the recommended shell since it appears Gore Shakedry is no longer available ? Thanks

Perry Clark
    BPL Member

@obi-wan

@Nick_Garcia: Seems like a potentially complicated question. I’m not an expert on all the WPB fabrics by any means, but there are lots of factors in play: Weight of fabric, degree of permeability, associated DWR treatments, PFAS use (though not for long, if I understand correctly), and more. I have been told by people who claim to know that Gore-Tex will be ditching almost all of their fabrics in the near future, largely because of the ‘forever chemical’ problem. (Which, IIUC, was the cause of the demise of Shakedry.) But they’ll allegedly be replacing those fabrics with new ones made from frog hair, unicorn oil, and phoenix feathers.

My own thought is that it’s all going to be even more of a “pick your poison” sort of affair. Weight v. wetting out v. water permeability v. dry time v. breathability v. price v. ventilation v. fair-trade labor practices v. personal biases, etc., etc.

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Locale: Central NYS

what is the recommended shell since it appears Gore Shakedry is no longer available ?

Outdry for cool weather and lots of rain. EE Visp if you want a lighter jacket. Poncho or Packa for varied conditions, higher humidity, and better ventilation over a pack. Umbrella or umbrella hat for warm weather and low wind.

https://backpackinglight.com/rain-wind-jackets-testing-shell-game/

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Wow, the R7 Shakedry was still available in all sizes up until recently and since I was on their mailing list received a 30% off coupon and bought a couple at $168 apiece, glad I did.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

@MJ my “smell rating” is indeed self assessed. however, I don’t think that really matters, since I am comparing various garments/fabrics in the same way.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

@Ryan, WBill or others using the R7, how has durability been for you?

wildsnow reviewed a Norrøna Jacket that combined GORE-TEX Active on the exposed parts, with Shakedry, which seemed like the perfect combo to me, but even that they said wasn’t durable enough.

https://wildsnow.com/34241/good-and-bad-of-an-experimental-touring-shell-from-norrona/

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!