Topic

Tent Recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tent Recommendations

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Sean M
    BPL Member

@zvolen

Locale: CA Central Valley

I understand these types of threads are common, and I have read most of them, however since each situation is fairly specific I was hoping others in a similar situation as mine would have some insight.

Due to budget constraints, minimalist behavior, as well as simplicity in packing I am looking for a 1 size fits all tent. I know that I will sacrifice in some area, probably all, because of that but I’m okay with it. I also understand a ‘perfect’ tent doesn’t exist and I will make some trade offs.

Anyways, here are some specifics to help — I will primarily be in the Sierra’s during the traditional 3 seasons with mostly 3-6 day solo trips. I am 6’4″ so length can be an issue and would prefer a side entry door and I do enjoy my space. I want the weight to be under 3lbs with stakes, etc. and obviously lighter is better. I do not carry trekking poles but am open to trekking pole tents as long as when the pole is including it fits the parameters. Lastly, I would like the tent to be under $350 either new or used as I am not opposed to that.

I have identified some tents and included my thoughts below.

Rainbow – Condensation? Not sure if in my area it would be as much of a problem.

Nemo Hornet/Blaze – Price, unless on sale and seemingly fragile materials.

SMD Lunar Solo – Difficult to pitch, length with 3″ pad – rubbing?

REI Quarter Dome SL1 – Space? Material?

Big Agnes Tiger Wall, etc – Price? Material?

SOLong 6 – With stakes and pole, weight? Price?

Am I missing anything or could you provide feedback/recommendations I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

I got a Tarptent Rainbow earlier this year and have been mostly pleased so far.  Condensation has not been an issue at all, but it has been a very dry summer in the Colorado Rockies – I haven’t had it in the rain yet.  It does well in wind: quiet and no worries about poles collapsing, and stakes are strategically placed.  I did opt for the carbon fiber poles because I use my trekking poles to hike during the day – no regrets there.  I also really like the room inside, plenty for my 5’3″ self and all of my gear.  It’s a good design.

The only reason I say “mostly” pleased is that the silnylon floor is slippery and I am exploring ways of making it less so.   As tall as you are, any sliding at all could be an issue;  as short as I am, it is an issue.  Should be pretty easy to fix, though, and I’ve laid down some silicon stripes on the floor.

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

If I were 6’4″, I’d eliminate all those except the SoLong.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

What Erica said.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I’m 6’5″ and have a Rainbow.  Length is fine as long as I stay in the middle, but as mentioned above, the floor is quite slippery.  I painted silicone lines and all that, but it still takes some care not to hit the walls if the site is sloped.

My Rainbow definitely gets more condensation than my TT Notch.  Its design simply doesn’t ventilate as well.

I’d disagree with Jenny regarding the Rainbow being good in wind.  It’s better in forest.  And I’m confused by her comment:  Carbon fiber poles to replace trekking poles…on a Rainbow?

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Maybe for the freestanding option? On a rainbow… Instead of using trekking poles??

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Todd T, good catch.  I was thinking of my Solplex.  What I should have said re: the Rainbow is that I chose the carbon fiber option for the two poles rather than the aluminum poles, which saved a few ounces.  And trekking poles can be used along the edges to create a freestanding structure; I haven’t done that yet.

I’ve had the tent in 30 mph winds and it was fine, quite quiet actually compared to some other tents I’ve been in.

Sean M
    BPL Member

@zvolen

Jenny/Todd, I appreciate both of your feedback but this is why its so tough is I hear conflicting opinions. Although it is good to know the length shouldn’t be an issue and if I go that route I will need to figure out the slipping issue. Which pad do either of you use?

I worry about condensation, especially if I will be sliding and hitting the tent but there seems to be ways you can pitch to get airflow and given my area may not be as much of an issue. Maybe I’m wrong?

Erica, the SoLong is compelling but by the time I get the poles and stakes it is hitting the upper limit of my weight and price thresholds but maybe that is one of the sacrifices I make. Other tents on the list appear to be more ‘simple’ to pitch which is nice while being stuffable but that is a small desire on the list.

Any other feedback on those listed or some I may have not looked at would be appreciated.

Thanks, as always.

Opogobalus
    Spectator

@opagobalus

Re: the rainbow:

The (double) rainbow earned my trust after an exposed camp in wales. Sleepless night, and started walking at 4.30am as I was exhausted and wanted to get down the the lowlands. I don’t know what the wind speeds were, but we had trouble standing up when we walked. We had to go over a summit before heading down, and were half-walk half crawling on the way up.

It was noisy in the wind (I think one of the seams created an “angry wasp” effect flappin in the wind) and shuddered, but it survived damage free

As soon as I took the extra lines off when pitching, then tent collapsed, so carrying extra cord was essential.

As for condensation, it wasn’t too bad, the main issue there is being single wall. But it’s design limits how well it could push moisture out.

I think you first need to decide if you want trekking poles. Trekking pole tents are a great way to save weight, but are less efficient for volume (important for a tall person) than anything with an arch pole. They’re a little harder to pitch taut in theory, but I don’t spend more than a couple of minutes pitching mine. The arch poles tension the fabric seemingly making for a more forgiving pitch.

If you don’t use trekking poles, try them out – they’re only good weight saving if you’re actually getting a benefit using them while hiking.

If you don’t like them I’d look more into tents with arch poles (as you’ve identified, tarptent have a few good shelters here, but there are many mainstream options. This will also make the second hand market easier and cheaper. Or, I’d consider single pole shelters (mids) so you’re only carrying one pole. The Tipik Pioulou is an unusually long mid which pitches without extra long poles, but most mid makers have an “xl” version to accommodate taller people – they just usually need a taller pole.

if you do go with two trekking poles

i would also consider the Yama cirriform. It’s quite long and double walled.
    some tall people have reported success with the xmid, but I couldn’t verify that.

if you’re on a budget Definitely buy second hand if possible. It opens up more options in your price range, and means you should spend well less than $350 – which leaves you more space in your budget for other gear you need, hiking permits or bus tickets to places you want to hike.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I have a Nemo Hornet 1P. Its NOT the elite version. I love it. I can’t really vauge for it though because I have only set it up in my yard. Its plenty long enough for your height. Its really light weight and packs amazingly small. I swapped out stakes for MSR mini groundhogs. Its not slippery either.. Compared to how I would slide in my duplex. If I slept on the ground more often when going solo, I would definitely carry this .. Especially in 3 season when the weather was going to be nice.. I would just pitch the mesh bug screen and not use the fly! That’s my plan anyway..  Nasty weather I will carry my Moment DW..

I am used to using a bug bivy.. So stepping up to the Hornet is like a palace for me. Plenty of room inside there!! I am 5 ft 10″ about 195  – 205 lbs.

Easy to pitch also.. So quick.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

6’5” and 280, both relate to my recommendation – SoLong 6.  Really a great tent.  I have the cuben version, which they no longer make, so I’ll politely say 21oz just to make you jealous.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Jenny/Todd, I appreciate both of your feedback but this is why its so tough is I hear conflicting opinions.

Yes, we all have different preferences and experiences.  I’ve had my Rainbow smash itself totally flat in winds that were gusting to maybe 40 mph.  Bent the pole.  The good news is I got no condensation that night. :-)

Although it is good to know the length shouldn’t be an issue and if I go that route I will need to figure out the slipping issue. Which pad do either of you use?

I’ve used several through the years.  I use my Notch more than my Rainbow these days, and sliding is not an issue there, both because it’s a double-wall and because it’s too small for there to be anywhere to slide to.  If I were to go back to the Rainbow more, I’d probably try putting the silicone on the pad rather than the floor.

I worry about condensation, especially if I will be sliding and hitting the tent but there seems to be ways you can pitch to get airflow and given my area may not be as much of an issue. Maybe I’m wrong?

In my experience, leaving the Rainbow’s door open helps a little, but my Notch ventilates better even with the door closed.  Regardless, I’ve pretty much decided that we tall folk need to stick to double-wall tents.  It’s just too easy to slide into a wet wall/ceiling when you’ve only got an inch or two of grace.  The Notch works for me, but fits like a sock.  TT sells optional poles for it if you don’t want to use trekking poles.

Hope you find what works for you.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

At 6’3″ I would recommend the TT Protrail in silnylon.  As a tall person, I prefer A-frame style shelters vs pyramid or dome as I don’t like having the fabric in my face.  You can buy the optional carbon fiber poles for the Protrail and skip the trekking poles.

I found it to be palatial for a single person shelter.

Pros (no pun intended):

No struts so it smushes down nicely inside the pack

Plenty of room for a person our height

Simple to pitch

Versatile.  You can pitch it with trekking poles, optional carbon fiber poles, or by tying it off to trees or whatever.

Relative low cost.

Cons

Prone to condensation but that typically has been my experience with my other single wall shelters too

Silnylon is prone to sagging.  You can mitigate this by adding shock cord to the guyline from the peak although I haven’t gotten around to doing this yet so I can speak from personal experience.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Take a look at Dan Durston’s xmid solo tent. Easily in your price range, spacious and it looks bomb proof. Light for its class.

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

YMG Cirriform

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Take a look at Dan Durston’s xmid solo tent. Easily in your price range, spacious and it looks bomb proof. Light for its class.

I have the 2-person X-mid.  I wouldn’t use it without trekking poles.  Fixed-length poles will work on reasonably even ground, but in the real world, I think you’ll want adjustability.  It’s a great tent, though.  Only negative is a somewhat large footprint.

Oh, and the 1-person version won’t work for tall folk. :-(

Oneil
    Spectator

@oneil

Locale: Sierra Foothills

A couple o comments…most importantly, condensation is not an issue in the Sierra. IMO. Even when ther *is* condensation, which is rare for 3 season, it’s not an issue. IMO.

My TT Double Rainbow 🌈 was my gateway drug to lighter camping. Such a great shelter. Floor was slippery for the first dozen nights but no longer (or ever) an issue. Easy setup, stable AF, good ventilation if you leave a door open. Great tent. The Nemo Hornet is also bomber, but more delicate than the TT. Current fave is the BA HV UL 1p (reads like a part number on my dishwasher) but don’t think the length would work for you.

Sean M
    BPL Member

@zvolen

I think you first need to decide if you want trekking poles.

I do not use trekking poles, I have tried them in the past and find I just don’t use them. I may try again in the future but that is a conversation for another day. However, I am open to trekking pole tents but ones with 2 external poles I wouldn’t find much weight savings.

would also consider the Yama cirriform

As for the Cirriform I would really prefer a side entry door, I have a head entry now and I just don’t like the logistics of entry and exit — especially being taller. Of their tents I really like the swiftline but as mention above by the time I get both the poles the weight savings is diminished.

6’5” and 280, both relate to my recommendation – SoLong 6.  Really a great tent

I really like this tent and fits almost all of my checkboxes except weight — I guess I need to decide if that trad-of is worth it. Its listed at 32oz + poles (8.5oz) + stakes would put it near the 42+-oz range where the rainbow for instance would be 35+-oz (with carbon fiber pole).

The Notch works for me, but fits like a sock.

I never looked heavily at the notch because at 84″ in length I just didn’t think it was long enough — I heard others state there just wasn’t enough room for us tall individuals. The weight is similar to that of the rainbow once I get the poles but it is a bit smaller. Its definitely on the list now but my only concern is while its states it fits a 25″ pad the specs mention it tapers to 20″. Other opinions of the notch?

At 6’3″ I would recommend the TT Protrail in silnylon.

I looked at this previously but since the length was ‘only’ 84″ I didn’t spend much time, see above, and I wanted to get away from the front entry as I have now and go with a side entry. I appreciate the recommendation however.

Oh, and the 1-person version won’t work for tall folk. :-(

Yes, unfortunately this is the same conclusion I came to as well.

A couple o comments…most importantly, condensation is not an issue in the Sierra. IMO. Even when ther *is* condensation, which is rare for 3 season, it’s not an issue. IMO. My TT Double Rainbow 🌈 was my gateway drug to lighter camping. Current fave is the BA HV UL 1p (reads like a part number on my dishwasher) but don’t think the length would work for you.

I had similar thoughts regarding condensation and the Rainbow (or DR) but had never read first hand experience with someone in similar conditions that I hike therefore I appreciate the insight.

As for the BA the listed length at 88″ is similar to others so I don’t think it would be an issue and I took a look previously but I was worried about durability and price. Granted I could find it used or on sale in my range — outside of that how has the durability been? Lastly, I would put this HV UL with the Quarter Dome SL1, very similar specs and weight at a lower price. Ive tried the SL1 and while it will work seemed a bit tight so I thought similar of the HV UL.

Now you all can see my indecisiveness, heh. Anyways, I appreciate everyone’s comments, suggestions, and input — obviously if anyone else has any I would be happy to hear. I initially was leaning towards the rainbow as I believe it was the closest to checking all of the boxes — you all have certainly given me more to think about however I still think its the front runner.

Opogobalus
    Spectator

@opagobalus

If you don’t want hiking poles, I’d stick with an arch pole tent – carrying to vertical support poles just don’t make sense imo. Unless you are in an area where you can easily find appropriate sticks or trees to tie out to.

Given the apparent low humidity conditions of the sierras (i’ve never been there, and am not from the states so it’s unfamiliar to me) the Double Rainbow might indeed be a good option. As I said above, it’s tougher than expected – but it wouldn’t be a first choice above-the-treeline shelter. You could also consider the Moment or Bowfin, which are a tickle lighter and offer different advantages.

There are many more mainstream options as well, which means you “try before you buy” in a physical store with much more ease. It might be worth looking at 2p options and sleeping diagonally, as tent makers often skimp on length for anyone just a little above average height..

You might consider single pole options, which are basically just mids. Look for XL versions. Off the top of my head, a duomid XL, trailstar, tipik pioulou, or someone else who’ll do a custom length would work (e.g. Locus Gear or Liteway).

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Re: tent poles. I did get the fixed pole from Zpacks for my Hex solo plus. It worked fine and wasn’t heavy at all–although I forget how much it weighed. Three ounces I think. not bad if you choose a single pole hiking pole tent.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

I never looked heavily at the notch because at 84″ in length I just didn’t think it was long enough — I heard others state there just wasn’t enough room for us tall individuals. The weight is similar to that of the rainbow once I get the poles but it is a bit smaller. Its definitely on the list now but my only concern is while its states it fits a 25″ pad the specs mention it tapers to 20″. Other opinions of the notch?

Yes, it tapers to 20″.  I’ve seen pictures of fitting a 25″ pad in there–it kind of wedges in by splaying the sides of the bathtub out a bit.  As for length, the structure of the tent is such that even if you slide down to the end, the inner tent keeps you from touching the tent walls/ceiling, so sleeping length is fine.  The bigger issue for tall folk is that the inner is right above your head, sometimes even touching it if you slide up.  Sitting up is a two-stage scoot-situp maneuver.  Like I said, it fits like a sock.  But it has a nice small footprint, is lightweight (at least if you use trekking poles), and is much better in wind than the Rainbow.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Some others that you might want to consider are the dry-pitching external pole domes by Big Sky International, and the Phreeranger by Trekkertent, the original design of the Rainbow, but truly double walled inside. Only problam is the length of 80″ which might be too short for you.  The Rainbow is 88″ long inside, so might be for you if you don’t need a doublewall because not camping in other climes, like the NW US or Colorado, altho the latter is pretty dry right now.

Note that the trekking pole attachments on the Rainbow will keep the floor taut, essential with a silnylon floor; but corner stakes are still needed for wind stability.  And you will slip on the sil if your pitch is not on truly level ground.  I can’t sleep well otherwise, so just the sil stripes painted on the bottom of some Nemo pads works for me without messing up the sil floors.

Suggest looking through the Big Sky domes to check the lengths.  Looked at just one, and it was 10″ longer than the Phreeranger’s 80″.  Also, you can get carbon poles which bring down the weight.  But with Big Sky, contact them first for availability of the model and changes you want.

Would not buy the other ones you mention.   First, because of length, as you already noted.  Second, because of single wall – are you sure you’ll never want to go backpack in the Rockies, or the NW US?

If on a strict budget, might suggest the REI QD1 – it specs 88″ length, and the walls are close to vertical.  Like the Rainbow, you’ll need guylines  to stabilize it in moderately high winds.

And you might check Nemo domes with poles that secure all four corners, like the Dagger.

Mentioned only domes because of the added space for a tall person.  The tents that use non-sagging polyester, like Dan’s X-Mid, and Lightheart’s SoLong if elected,  are variations on A-Frames; however, unlike many A-Frames, are side-entry and will not sag into the limited space of an A-Frame, and flap like silnylon can when wet.

Check the return policies, so you can return one if you don’t like it when pitched indoors.

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

Sean, The newer Cirriform tarps are actually side entry now.

Sean M
    BPL Member

@zvolen

Sean, The newer Cirriform tarps are actually side entry now.

I didn’t notice that initially, thanks @Garrett. However, unfortunately the tarp is side entry  but the bug net is not.

Any thoughts on the SMD Lunar Solo? I heard if on a 3″ pad the length is difficult and would potentially rub but I do like the space, price point, weight, and that its silpoly instead of nylon.

Otherwise I think the top 5 would be:

1. Tarptent Rainbow
    2. Nemo Hornet 1P or 2P
    3. REI QuarterDome SL1
    4. BA Tiger Wall UL2
    5. BA Copper Spur HV UL1

Thoughts?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools