Topic

Tent Fitting the Easy Way

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Tent Fitting the Easy Way

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Companion forum thread to: Tent Fitting the Easy Way

If you are struggling to find a shelter that fits, you aren’t alone. We provide some (mostly useful) advice in the context of a pop culture tour.

Ratatosk
    Spectator

@ratatosk

WE KNOW THE SECRETS OF THE FIRE SWAMP

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Ha!  I’ve slept in a hammock on all of my backpacking trips for the past six years or so and almost skipped this article as “not relevant.”  I’m really glad I read it and enjoyed all of your examples and references.

Scott Nelson
    BPL Member

@nlsscott

Locale: Southern California and Sierras

I love this thinking! And I had to check the date to be sure it was not posted on the first of April.  You know, the date that The Founder and Publisher writes his comprehensive review on ATVs.

Scott

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Rex, thank you. I lost count of the belly laughs I had while reading, starting with “Use the other side.” Obviously a lot of work to come up with so much humor, the photos, and the links. It was a joy.

BTW, killer marmots don’t scare me. My aunt, uncle and cousins produced, directed, and acted in “Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.”

CS
    Spectator

@covecs

Except that no one is exactly average in all proportions

Understand averages is a pitfall that humanity keeps on relearning. (That and how a one in a million chance out of a billion means it happens a lot more often than you expected.)

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Boastful job applicant: “I’m one in a million!”

Interviewer: “That means there’s more than 7,800 people out there better than you. Next!”

— Rex

Carrie S
    BPL Member

@cstrohl2015

Rex, You made my day! May you have a perfectly cromlulent day. Can’t wait for the next episode.

Michael P C
    BPL Member

@mikebcohen-2

Rex, this was far more useful to me than you could have imagined. Not only am I (really) looking for a new tent, and couldn’t figure out how to size it, but I’m also about to start a kitchen remodel (really), and couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t get any of the dimensions measured. Now that I read your instructions on how to use the tape measure, I’m sure the remodel will be a breeze. The tent, well, not so sure. Might be breezy, too.

Thanks again.

Ian H
    BPL Member

@carpus

Brilliant article Rex! Type 1+ fun.

Being of similar greybearded vintage, and recovering from wrist surgery, decided to do a 2 night solo walk (legs are functional). First problem was setting up tentpole (Macpac Microlight, single longitudinal pole design) when only one hand usable. (Hold strap in teeth, tension pole with good hand, struggle to find the pole-hole in the strap when you can’t see it) Forgot to try out in living room because I’d done it before (easy using 2 hands).

Second problem was getting in/out of low-slung 1-man tent when unable to crawl/ lean on one hand. Wished I’d brought the ‘sleep standing up’ tarp!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools