Topic

Tarptent Motrail vs. Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo Explorer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent Motrail vs. Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo Explorer

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I might be ready to pull the trigger on a lightweight, 2 person tent. While the Zpacks Duplex is awesome, I can’t cost-justify it and other Dyneema options.

I’m an assistant scoutmaster and most of our troop activities are car camping, for various reasons. I’d like to do some backpacking, but it would be more weekend trips than a thru-hike. I currently use a BA 3 person tent, which is heavy for backpacking.

I mostly tent alone, but want the option of doing a trip with my son or having him tent with me on a scouting trip if we have a tent issue. I’m 6’3″, he’s 13 and below average height.

The Motrail and Lunar Duo are tents that seem to fit my criteria. The Motrail weighs less and costs less. I have adjustable trekking poles.

The Lunar Duo has a larger floor area and the 2 poles are at the same height, so there’s more headroom. It’s been around longer, so more reviews on it.

Both appear to be simple to set up. I’m not a fan of pyramid tents where the pole is in the center.

I’m curious about your thoughts on these tents and others I might have missed in the same price range.

Thanks!

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Motrail

Motrail

Lunar Duo Explorer

Lunar Duo Explorer

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I don’t have experience with either of those models but I know both brands well and have some general opinions:

1. I don’t care for SMD’s webbing based guylines on my Deschutes or my son’s Skyscape. Linelocs are easier to use IMO and facilitate modification of guyline setup to accommodate rock anchors and stuff like that.
    2. I like that TT makes their tents in the US.
    3. The fabric and stitching seem higher quality on TT products but that is really subjective and I’m no expert on silnylon.
    4. Front entry sucks. Side entry is great. Dual side entries are even better.
    Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

My wife and I were using a Hexamid Twin until about a year ago, when we moved to the Stratospire 2 from Tarptent.

Some of our big complaints about the Hexamid twin, and why I picked the SS 2 were:

Interior space for 2.

1 door instead of 2

Finicky rigging on the low beak of the Hexamid twin making entry/exit a pain.

I would apply those same criteria here. The MoTrail would seem to have less interior livable space, but I haven’t seen it in person.  I also don’t like having a single door & vestibule, but some people like that, and think a tent like the MoTrail may fit into tighter spaces.  My SS2 has a large “footprint” so it may be more difficult to find spots to pitch it.

Rather than tell you, “buy this tent, not that one”, I’m hoping that sharing my thought process helps you to better come to your own informed decision about what works best for you.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Rather than tell you, “buy this tent, not that one”, I’m hoping that sharing my thought process helps you to better come to your own informed decision about what works best for you.

I appreciate that and all advice from those with experience.

The entry issue that both of the replies above mention is a very valid one to consider. There are clearly tradeoffs here. Both seem to be good options, but have strengths and weaknesses.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Front entry sucks. Side entry is great. Dual side entries are even better.

^This squared if you’re tall, which I believe you are.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

If you are tall, go to the Tarptent website and look at how many of their tents are designed with inners that are either vertical or slope outwards at the head and foot ends…not all of them are like this, but many are.  This provides much more head and foot room than an inner of the same listed length where the inner head and foot ends slope inwards.

I recall the Motrail as having a lot of room for someone tall.  I don’t know much about the SMD shelter though.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I insist on side entry with rain protected entrance. Dual doors/vestibules also are very valuable.  Tarptent makes a damn fine product. Given your goals, I’d give the Tarptent Saddle a close look. I like the space in the Motrail, but I have sold on every end entry tent I have ever owned. I can’t comment on the SMD…I have no experience with that brand.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

The Saddle is 6 inches lower than the Motrail, 2 inches narrower and requires 4 poles. It’s a double wall which has condensation advantages, but is not as quick to set up.

How about the Yama Swiftline?

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

The Saddle is 6 inches lower than the Motrail…

Tall guys have learned that measurements are often misleading. The Motrail’s A-frame(ish) design means you’ve only got that extra 6″ in the dead center, where you’ll never be if you’re with another person. The Saddle 2 looks like its ceiling is higher out on the sides. I’d email Henry, give him your own measurements and expectations, and get his advice. He’ll be straight with you. He once talked me out of a tent he didn’t think would fit me.

Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

Locale: Northern California

I’ve had a Lunar Duo for 4 years that I used extensively when I was a scoutmaster. I’m 5’8″ and have plenty of room in the tent but your mileage may vary. Easy to set up and I had it in 20 mph winds with no issues. No real issues with condensation but I’m in NorCal with little humidity. I’ve used it primarily for car camping but also on a handful of short backpacking trips. I bought the polyester version but should have paid for the silnylon instead to save the weight. I am very happy with the tent and just wish I had more time to use it.

Jorge Villalobos
    BPL Member

@minusfive

Those 6 extra inches are really useful for tall people like me:

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Hahaha!

Sigh, now I’m actually leaning toward a Stratospire 2.

Ryan T
    BPL Member

@ryantoupal

I’ve had a front entrance tent for a number of years(rainshadow2). I also have side entrance tents. I would say side entrance is a little better but it’s way way down there on the list of features. All else being equal I think weight, price, and simplicity are more important. We have never had a problem going in through the front. Is there advantage I’m not seeing other then getting in and out?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

TOP 5 REASONS TO GET THE STRATOSPIRE 2:

5. Once I got inside one I was amazed at the space. It seemed at least as large as my heavier Scarp 2.

4. The SS2 is fairly wind worthy with no large surfaces to catch wind.

3. Two doors makes the SS2 better for those O Dark Thirty “relief” trips. (Much easier than climbing over your tent mate to a single door.)

2. Two doors and two vestibules for storing two packs overnight or in bad weather.

And #1. The SS2 is one of the lightest 2 person tents available.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

There are a few silnylon tents lighter than the SS2.  However, I’m tall and while I want to do some more backpacking instead of just car camping, I have no plans for a through hike.  So, the extra ounces for the extra space sounds nice.

I, too, often need to answer nature’s call before getting out of the tent in the morning, so dual side doors is a benefit.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

I’ve had a front entrance tent for a number of years(rainshadow2). I also have side entrance tents. I would say side entrance is a little better but it’s way way down there on the list of features. All else being equal I think weight, price, and simplicity are more important. We have never had a problem going in through the front. Is there advantage I’m not seeing other then getting in and out?

At 6’5″, the getting in and out is a big deal.  After slithering in, whether face first or rump first, you then have to immediately do a 180.  The only alternative is to crab walk in.  Never again.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I’m only 5’9″ and even so I still vastly prefer side entry. However I have used a fair number of end-entry tents and I can get used to them… just do the ol’ 180 Bum Spin.

A friend of mine is 6’3″ and getting in and out of tents has always been a significant issue for him, and of course head room and shoulder room once inside.

And I agree, even at my modest height and girth I think a Duplex/Hex twin would be tight for 2 people.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

LD will definitely be bigger than the saddle 3. The ld is pretty big. The double moment would be a better comparison.

EDIT  Saddle 2, not 3 obviously!  Ugh!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Here is BPL member Dan Durston’s long term review of the Stratosphere 2, Long Term Review: Tarptent Stratospire 2 .

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Here is BPL member Dan Durston’s long term review of the Stratosphere 2

I’ve read that. I’ve gotten to the point of narrowing it down between the Stratospire 2 and the Saddle 2 (which I had previously rejected, but now put at the top).

In fact, I have the Saddle 2 in my online shopping cart. I might pull the trigger after lunch.

As always, there is no perfect tent. The Stratospire is a little heavier, little more footprint, setup a little more complicated and a little more expensive. I’d make little italicized each time, but being lazy.

I just bought a wide/long REI Flash sleeping pad. Both of these can handle 2 of those (barely) or 1 and a narrower pad that my smaller son could use.

Watching the setup videos, the 2 extra poles for the Saddle don’t look as much of a negative as I thought. If I go with my son, he’ll have poles. If not, I would take the pair that TT sells.

As others have mentioned, packability is often more important than weight as long as there isn’t a HUGE difference in weight. The Saddle has a small advantage in packability over the Stratospire.

These small differences are what makes these 2 so close. The advantages of the Stratospire are a little more space and only 2 poles.

Maybe lunch will provide inspiration.

Ryan T
    BPL Member

@ryantoupal

Saddle 2 Does look pretty nice. I have to say I do like those triangle ends on my Scarp. You can leave them open for ventilation.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Trigger pulled on the Saddle 2. Our next camping trip with the scouts is car camping for just 1 night, but hopefully it arrives in time for that to test things out.

Thanks, folks!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Brad, Please grace us all with a report once you get a few nights in the Saddle :)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!