Topic

Tahoe Rim Trail early July?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Tahoe Rim Trail early July?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I really wanted to hike the Tahoe Rim Trail last summer.  Family conflicts prevented me from doing so. I was considering hiking it next summer–and now, one of my coworkers is pregnant, and is due late July, so will likely be taking maternity leave August/September.

Is it completely bonkers to think about hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail in early July?  I’m guessing that it will be a decently high snow year, based on what is happening here in the Pacific Northwest.  Not really any guide, I know, but last year seemed to have big snow in both the Sierras and the Cascades.  I don’t mind crossing some snow patches, but miles on miles obscuring the trail makes me nervous.  On the other hand, it seems like it would be better water access.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Let’s just assume an average snow year. So far it’s under that, but you never know until April at least. Yes, some snow; I would say not so much miles and miles of it. Skeeters will be pretty ferocious at that time of year usually, and thunderstorms most afternoons. Both of those factors would be more meaningful to me personally – I hate skeeters and that trail has a lot of miles where you wouldn’t want to be if lighting is happening.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Both of those factors are pretty compelling to me, too! I hate skeeters with a passion. I think I’m just going to bite the bullet and skip this year, again, and figure on next year.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Wait wait wait…time out. Thuderstorms? well yeah maybe..just like anywhere in the Sierra in the summer. Don’t go backpacking because there ‘may’ be thunderstorms? hmmmm. In any case, I’ve hiked that area lots in July and I would never ever say that thunderstorms will happen most afternoons. Sure, if there’s a north westerly monsoonal flow coming out of the Gulf of Mexico, but that could happen in September as well.

And mosquitoes? They’re everywhere at that time, but you can dress for them. Honestly, I have a simple coverage set up that makes this a mostly non-issue.

So that leaves snow. On most average or below years, I think that this isn’t going to be a big issue in July. So far this has the feel of a below average year. The snow level for the last storm, which was the first big one of the season, was 8500 feet. It was raining below that. There is no snow to speak of so far.

I can see waiting a year to go at a later month if mosquitoes are the final factor. Otherwise, why wait? Honestly, I prefer this trail with a bit of snow–it pretties it up.

Mike Bozman
    Spectator

@myarmisonfire

Locale: BC

Early July will probably be idea.  Looks like it has been a pretty low snow year up to this point.  Things can change obviously.

I have been to the Tahoe area camping and hiking a few times and hiked the TRT in 2015 and 2016.  The only time I had thunder showers was in May when we were car camping!

Zero bugs in June 2015.  The only place there were bugs in 2016 was around Lake Aloha.  I didn’t even use my head net.

Don’t procrastinate on the trip because next year becomes the year after, then the year after, etc.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

It’s ok, but the northern part can be pretty dry.  Plus, 4th of July weekend, mountain bikers once the snow melts (in my case, clockwise).  Most were friendly but “on your left” 40 times before lunch gets old.  Plus almost a collision around a corner from a counter clockwise rider.
    Then the clockwise bikers came dashing towards me as a mama bear and her cubs started chasing said mountain bikers back towards me..

I used the shuttle from Truckee to Tahoe City, as not to leave a car unattended (as per a prior trip report on BPL), but if doing it again, may look at options from South Lk Tahoe (I’m interested in Stateline NV for both a TRT or PCT stop … 10 min bus ride) or possibly Reno.  Think the mountain bikers have an official even/odd system.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools