Topic

Sticky rain fly?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sticky rain fly?

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Zak S
    Spectator

@zak

Locale: Berkeley, CA

I had the same tent, maybe a couple years later.  I used it a lot (mostly for motorcycle camping) the first couple years, then it’s mostly been stored packed.  I took it out about two months ago, and the seam tape on the floor was coming off and the fly was sticky- I maybe could have peeled off the tape and seam sealed it, but I thought it had failed too early, so I took it back to REI.  They did push back a bit (“well, this does happen to tents eventually”), but I was firm that this was well cared for, and other older tents did not have this failure- I do expect to see this sort of thing after 10-15 years though.

They took it back pretty quickly.  I think they’re obligated to push back these days, but you bought during the days of ironclad warranty, that still applies for those items.

Zak

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

You might try MiraZyme, it kills the mold that makes PU smell real bad.  I’ve had great success with it.  Never used it on sticky PU coatings, though…

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Zak that’s interesting because that’s EXACTLY what is happening to this tent – the tape is coming off the floor and the fly is sticky.

I kept it outside in the sun for several days and that helped a teeny bit, but I agree that it’s shot in the current state.

I’m going to pick up some of that tent repair stuff that Nick suggested and give that a try. I am a little disappointed that they didn’t offer to exchange it. It’s not that old…and it really was taken care of. This seems like a defect to me…….this should not be normal for a relatively expensive tent.

Interestingly…I got way more nights out of my cuben fiber duomid than I got out of this supposedly “more durable” REI tent.

Hmmm…..

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

personally i would keep going after REI …

when they changed their return policy a few years ago they stated that items purchased under the pre change guarantee would be honored with the old unlimited warranty … in fact many on BPL here said “dont worry it will still be covered” … obviously REI is trying to squirm its way out of its previous “lifetime warranty”

theres other alternatives such as the BBB, or their facebook page ….

i remember when they changed their warranty how some BPLers were crowing gleefully about how it would only affect “abusers” … and how regular honest BPLers would not be affected

well we now know this is no longer true …

if that doesnt work i would simply buy a new kelty, alps mountaineering or eureka tent for ~100$ … dont waste the moolah on sprays

i own and use this one for car camping …

as a side note LL bean has stated over and over again that they will stand by their warranty as they have fore decades even if REI does not … so their tents might be something to look at for those interested

;)

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

“personally i would keep going after REI …

+1 to that.

Bring it in, and simply tell them: “I AM NOT SATISFIED…”

It’s a 100% Customer Satisfaction Guarantee. If you genuinely never expected this tent to fail in this way, then share with them your dissatisfaction with it.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I have several tents with the sticky flys.  They became sticky while stored, completely dry, in stuff sacks in my house.  One of them had never been used and I returned it to REI for a refund.  I’ve since loosely stored my other tents  in open boxes.  So far so good.

The sticky flys that remained have been hanging from my ceiling for over 6 months with brief outdoor hangings when weather allowed.  The stickiness has been significantly reduced but it isn’t completely gone.   I will continue with this treatment until they are cured or I get tired of them hanging from my ceiling.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!