Topic

Sea to Summit Nano Mosquito Pyramid Insect Shield Net Shelter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sea to Summit Nano Mosquito Pyramid Insect Shield Net Shelter

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

Has anyone used this inside a Solomid or similar pyramid shelter?  Weight is listed at 2.9 oz, but it doesn’t have a floor.  I like the idea of a pyramid floorless net shelter for sitting outside in camp as well as in the tent.

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

A buddy of mine used one with a Solomid and I used one with a Hexamid Solo last July in the Sierra.

We used them exactly how you propose–not only as nets inside our shelter, but at every break (and while relaxing in camp), we’d rig them up using trekking poles, guy lines, tree branches–whatever was most convenient. They were highly effective against the skeeters, but a little fiddly. I hate fiddliness, but that fiddliness was worth it to me, compared to the weight penalty of the alternatives (or the entire lack of a sanctuary). I will be bringing it into the Sierra this year, as well (probably well into August…)

My jeweler’s scale reported 2.97 oz, btw.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

I’ve looked at those and am concerned about the off-center peak. I want to say they changed that at some point over the last few years.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

The STS nano mosquito net fits well under a Deschutes CF, which is similar to a Zpacks solomid-plus. Other than a few minor quirks, I love mine for moderate 3 season use. It worked great on the JMT last summer and is very light (2.9 oz, and could be made lighter by cutting off excess shock chord).

My preferred way to use it under a shelter is to snug up the shock chord so that the circumference of the net is a few feet shorter than my TAR Xlight regular pad’s circumference. Next, all sides of the mosquito net are tucked under all the sides of the pad, and my body weight keeps a pretty good seal all the way around. Even without body weight it tends to stay put fairly well and provide a good enough seal for most bugs (maybe not an army of ants). No stakes or guylines required. To exit, I just sit up, pull up one side of the net, slip my head under, then drop the net on the other side of my body (the shock chord has lots of give). Here’s a photo of the setup:

A few minor quirks…

The netting likes to catch on almost anything that’s not smooth and slick, including fleece, knit shirts, pine needles and forest duff, hair, etc. I’ve gotten into the habit of sleeping in my wind shirt with hood, and that makes it MUCH easier to move around under the net and enter and exit without catching – smoothe as butter. Also, the netting loves to affix itself to the velcro tabs on your trail runners, if you use them for elbow support while sleeping. A really light produce bag would fix that. The netting is also droopy and will not conform to a shape like a true inner net tent does under tension, but no big deal. Also, the netting is very thin and will not stop any wind. And unless you have a bathtub of some kind for a ground cloth, then there’s nothing to dampen airflow around your quilt sides. No big deal in the summer.

The off center peak has never been an issue, and the corner tabs are color coded so you know which end has the peak with a quick glance. Given the weight, price and functionality, these quirks are acceptable IMHO.

George F
    BPL Member

@gfraizer13

Locale: Wasatch

I am thinking of getting one to go with a Beta Light. The off center peak should work well there.

Brett Cooper
    Spectator

@bcoop

Locale: Pacific Northwest

It works great with the Beta Light, there are some hang loops to suspend it from. The other option is to hang it from the webbing that holds the trekking pole tip.

Also works well under my MLD Grace Solo. When staked out, it provides a bug free zone with decent headroom. A little fiddly, but more room than a bivy for only a 3 oz penalty.

Brando Sancho
    BPL Member

@saudade

Locale: SoCal

This is not my photo, and I don’t have any personal experience with the net. But this set up using rocks piqued my interest.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I’ve been using the S2S Nano for a couple years under a Gatewood Cape. I use a few male velco tabs adhered on the edges of my foam pad, which allows for the netting to stay in place.

It works very well for it’s weight, and I really haven’t had any issues with it – even though it does like to cling to things, as others have mentioned.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!