Topic

Removable end triangle for A frame tarps (Kam snaps)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Removable end triangle for A frame tarps (Kam snaps)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Anyone who’s used tarps in A frame configuration knows that you’re vulnerable to blowing rains. A net tent with solid ends helps a little but it’s still not enough during a storm. So I decided to make a removable triangle for the foot end and will probably make one with a middle vertical zip for the head end, I just cut a triangle out of 20D silpoly and sewed 70D silnylon strips 1″ wide folded in half around the perimeter. Added Kam snaps to it and tarp (12 total).

This is 6′ wide tarp and net tent without triangle (foot end).

And tarp with triangle snapped on. I’m amazed at just how strong Kam snaps really hold. So cheap, light and simple . I think every MYOG’er should have a Kam snap gun.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I really enjoy seeing your innovations!  I see so many benefits to this approach:

• It’s much more effective than me clipping my raincoat on using my daughter’s snap barrettes and using a small biner on the ridgeline to ensure it didn’t fly away when the clips didn’t hold
    • You don’t need to bring the ends with you if you’re not expecting big storms
    • You can unsnap the top of the triangle for as much or as little ventilation as you need, knowing that you can dog the hatches down if it hits the fan
    • Ensures that you have the same width each time you pitch it

Thanks again for sharing!  And the Kam snaps come in lots of colors!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I’ll take em!!!

Ahahhahaaaa.. That’s just awesome!!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I’ve used snaps like

I’ve tried them on a mid tent door but they come undone

I’ve used them on clothing and they’re better (their intended application)

It doesn’t look like there’d be a huge amount of tension on your door, so I bet that would work better

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

I haven’t field tested the snap on triangle yet, but the hold seems very solid. Of course the only way to really know if it will work is for it to be exposed to strong winds and to use it multiple nights. However I can still add more Kam snaps at mid points between the ones I already installed. And there’s also the option of sewing velcro strips between the snaps for added hold.

If even more grip is needed I could place a sewing clip at the very bottom of each side of triangle where it’s most likely to give way. Probably not necessary though.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

That looks great!

I’m a fan of A frame tarps with enclosed ends. I like my ends attached permanently (Yama Cirriform Min) but that does limit my ability to open the tarp up on the foot end or leave the triangles at home.

One suggestion: how about a loop at the middle of the bottom hem for a pull out? Then you can accommodate a narrower pitch and still have some tension on the beak. I like how the beaks on my tarp allow it to pitch at variable widths so easily based on site conditions.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Good idea Matthew and I had actually intended to do that, thanks for reminding me. It’s easy to just sew on a 3/8′ wide grosgrain loop to the middle. The loop could also provide added stability and help keep the triangle from flapping in the wind by simply tying it to the pole with some spectra cord.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I’ve used these successfully

on the door of my mid.  They don’t come undone or fail during quite a few trips.

I’ve been looking for an alternative to zippers

The smallest size is strong enough

I think on your door panel the kam snaps would be fine – not a lot of tension pulling it apart

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

This pic shows a little better lighting and detail of the triangle attached. I took 2 scrap pieces of 20D silpoly and sewed them together with a flat seam to create enough material.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

“I took 2 scrap pieces of 20D silpoly and sewed them together with a flat seam to create enough material.”

great project, using available materials

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

Great idea. I love my Kam snaps!

I’ve used the tarp doors by Warbonnet hammocks to increase the coverage of a small tarp on a few occasions.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I’ve considered those hooks for attaching perimeter netting. They’re pretty light, wouldn’t snag the netting.

I’ve wanted a way to block wind on my Twin tarp, detachable doors. Cam snaps would be an interesting solution.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

I decided to make a snap on triangle for the head end of the tarp as well, but with a vertical #3 zipper in the middle for entry and exit. Now I have 360 degree protection. Yet since the triangles are removable I still keep the versatility of a 6′ X 9′ flat tarp. I can also just leave them off in fair weather.

As with the rear triangle, I sewed together 2 scrap pieces of fabric with a flat seam in order to have enough material. This is Xenon .9 though.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Now all you need is a few inches of perimeter netting and you’ve got everything.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

I did think about that Diane but I’m living in the Eastern US now and there are far more insects to deal with. That means 100% bug proof is a must April though October, especially when you consider ticks and Lyme disease. Ants, spiders, noseeums and other creepy crawlies are also plentiful. Perimeter netting would keep out most mosquitos but not the other pests. And it would interfere with the versatility that makes flat tarps an attractive option to me.

However, if I move back to the Southwest I could see making a removable Kam snap perimeter netting for the tarp.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

As is always the case Monty,  you get an A+

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!