Topic

Rain & cold in Sierras this weekend- affecting your plans?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Rain & cold in Sierras this weekend- affecting your plans?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kristin Tennessen
    BPL Member

@ktenness

Locale: Bay Area

Anyone else watching the weather like a hawk this weekend in NoCal? We have hard-to-get-holiday-weekend permits for Desolation Wilderness but I’m not sure we’re going to be able to use them given we are 4 people and only one is able to carry a significant amount of weight. Doable, yes, but fun? I haven’t decided yet. Our backup is Snow Mountain Wilderness but it’s simply not as majestic.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Absolutely. Sonora Pass may close. Same with Tioga. And unless you are prepared to wake up with your tent covered in 3-6 inches of snow or more—and the trail out covered by the same amount, you should re-think your plans.

I am not saying that you shouldn’t go on a trip–just that you should be aware of the potential conditions, and prepared to deal with them.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nope. I always skip the holiday weekends. I’ll be at work all weekend.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

+1 to what Paul said above. Other key elements are the experience of the members of the group with the expected conditions, group commitment to the common plan, and group cohesion. With snow and ice on the ground, your pace can slow to 1 mph or even 1/2 mph.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Pouring here in Chico this morning.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Nope. Looks like the lost coast is getting nowhere near the amount of precip. For once.

Kristin Tennessen
    BPL Member

@ktenness

Locale: Bay Area

We did it and it was awesome.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Sweet

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

That’s great that it worked out!

I’m eager to get into the Sierras, but not eager to get snowed on or have to walk through lots of wet, mushy snow.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!