Topic

Pillows and pads for side sleepers?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pillows and pads for side sleepers?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I have not been on in about a month or so so this may have been answered.  I also am doing better financially than I have in the past so I am really looking at all options for this.  I will say I am 6’4″ and about 220#.  Just looking for better side sleeping options as I get older.  Thank you.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Also a tall side sleeper, I’ve been watching for a good pillow for years, and have tried many.  So far, nothing.  Literally nothing that is anywhere close to thick enough for side sleeping.  Sadly, I’m still filling a stuff sack with whatever clothes I’m not sleeping in.

The pillow market seems to have decided that pillows should range from about 3.9 inches to 4.1 inches.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I use the Klymit Cush seat/pillow. I don’t think they sell them anymore and I got mine free with another purchase. It’s long and thin, for a pillow, but you can fold it into thirds and get a thicker pillow. Not that thick, but I sleep on my side and even my pillow and home isn’t that thick. The biggest problem is that it really shows off the years of drool.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I use two Sea to Summit pillows stacked,along with any clothing I am not wearing, inside my clothing stuffsack,  for which I have created velcro attachments to my pad.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I have a Sea to Summit Aeros Premium but need something thicker.  Maybe I use a stuff sack and clothes also.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I made pillow.  First, multiple layers that I cut from a closed cell foam pad to get the thickness I want, then several layers of synthetic batting I got from a seat cushion because it’s more comfortable against my head

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

How about a pad?

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

I use an x-long/wide neoair as a pad and a 2 piece solution for a pillow – both an inflatable ~3.5” thick and a stuff sack of clothes.  Lying on my side the pillow goes atop the stuff sack, total height about 7”.  When on my back the pillow goes under my head, the stuff sack behind my knees.

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

What are you using now as a pad? I only side sleep but at 165lbs found the Nemo Tensor insulated comfortable.  The all season is half an inch thicker and I hear is even more comfortable.

I take most YouTube reviews with a grain of salt but Justin’s pad and pillow reviews are very comprehensive and worth checking out

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I’m 6’1″ 220 lbs and happy with the LW Nemo Insulated Tensor and Big Sky Dreamsleeper pillow with a buff pulled over it. The Nemo keeps my hips and shoulders from bottoming out.  Were I needing to replace it I might look at one of the 3-3.5″ thick Sea-to-summit pads, but would likely stick with the Nemo.

I know a lot of people don’t like inflatable pillows, but the Dreamsleeper material is stretchy and has a nice give to it even when fully inflated.  Vary the “pillowcase” to get the on-skin feel you want.  I’d replace with the same.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I am seeing that the Nemo Insulated and All Season are both 3.5″.  Is that correct?

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

In Justin’s latest video he said the all season is 3.5 and insulated 3 inch but I didn’t verify

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

The Nemo site says 3.5”, but I’m not so sure…could be a typo.

Josiah M
    BPL Member

@josiahmac

I’ve spent too much time trying to figure this out. I’ve tried making my own pillows, stacking 2 pillows on top of each other, etc. But I do have an answer!

Here is the best thing I’ve found so far: Thermarest Compressible pillow on top and here’s the secret, stick something(clothing, pack, air pillow) underneath your pad. It will lift the pad up a few inches under the head and feel more like your home mattress. Don’t ask me why this works, but it does. Just try it.

As far as pads, all the air pads (NeoAir, Tensor, Big Agnes) will all feel relatively the same. Not bad, not great. If you are open to carrying a little extra weight and have room in your pack, definitely try the Thermarest Trail Pro. It’s a game-changer. Thank me later.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Good idea about putting something under pad.  That makes sense.  Something to try.

Another similar, or maybe opposite idea would be to have your head off the end of the pad.  Then the pillow would have to be that much thicker.  But then you could use a short pad and save some weight.

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

I’ve stuffed a shoe or other rigid extra gear into the pillow sack and then layered soft clothing on the top to get my head level when I side-sleep. I like a very firm pillow at home, so something like this comes closest.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

Of necessity, I have shoved my shoes under the edge of a sleep pad to try to keep it level when I couldn’t find a better spot, but I can’t imagine putting my shoe that close to my nose.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Check out the Zenbivy large pillow.

1.75 oz for the inflatable part, and it stands pretty high. I put this in a dry bag (or large stuff sack) with a puffy or other clothes on top.

You could also just get their whole pillow system, which includes a nice pillowcase and down topper as well.

I’m generally a minimalist for gear and not attracted to the Zenbivy concept, but they make a really great pillow.

JG H
    BPL Member

@jgh4

I use a Zpacks medium+ pillow case and I stuffed it with the cut foam from a ThermaRest compressible pillow (size medium). I am a side sleeper, too, and this is the best solution I’ve found to date. It has the perfect height and perfect resistance (firm) for my preference. The DCF isn’t as loud as you’d think and the pillow is plenty warm under the head. I added a Zpacks stick-on loop to each end, a length of 1/16 shock cord running between them, and a tiny cord lock for adjustability as my pad attachment system. All in, it weighs right at 8oz which, to me, is very reasonable for my perfect backcountry pillow. If you’re handy with a sewing machine, you could cut the case down a bit and resew the end to lighten the overall weight of the case, which would allow further weight reduction b/c it’d require less foam. Also, if you prefer a medium to soft resistance in your pillow, less foam would achieve that and allow further weight reduction. I’ve tried all kinds of solutions in the backcountry and this is my Goldilocks pillow.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

I use a large Exped air pillow, stick it in a merino wool buff, and shove-in a 120g/m^2 alpha direct hoody to serve as a soft top (’cause air pillows are HARD!). I have used this for the past couple of trips and I liked it. It is weight efficient because I would already have the buff and alpha 120 hoody in my pack. It IS stretching the buff though (I wish buff made a large size!).

JG H
    BPL Member

@jgh4

Paul, do you sleep in a bag or under a quilt? If a quilt, how do you keep from having to chase the pillow around the tent all night?

Megan W
    BPL Member

@meganwillingbigpond-com

JGH, My pillow set-up is similar to Paul’s (except Thermarest Airhead) and I’ve recently added a closed cell foam sitpad folded in 2 underneath. I use a quilt and sewed 2 elastic straps on to the Airhead pillow case – they go around my mat and keep the pillow in place (mostly). Like the Pillow Strap pillow case, I guess (except I thought of it 1st !! 🙃)

Megan

JG H
    BPL Member

@jgh4

Megan, that makes sense. That’s what I do, except its with a HMG pillow case.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

I have the Exped Med-Wide 3R for 3 season. Side sleeper w a hip issue here. I found the vertical baffles conform better to my body. The 3″ height and 3.5 side tubes keep me on the pad intuitively. I got it on an early release promotion. I was surprised by the comfort. Many a hardcore tester side sleepers have also noted the comfort. The fabric is easy on skin. Mine weighs 18.5 oz. For the small weight and total QUIET, for me it is far better than a NeoAir or Tensor (OK but doesn’t conform to my hip’s comfort). Bonus is the 40 liter air bag that hold my whole sleep kit w 40° down bag. I’m 68 yrs and comfort means more than 2-3 ounces. Bonus 2 is that Exped charges same price for every size. And they dropped the price to $140. Now REI does it, too. For new the price diff of a NeoAir  I could get a BRS 3000, a Toaks pot and a cup. BTW, I have an older NeoAir for winter but no where near the comfort.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!