Topic

Patagonia Cross Trek vs R1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia Cross Trek vs R1

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I handed down my Patagonia R1 hoody to my teenager.  It fits him better than me, L was a little tight.  Now I’m looking for another lightweight fleece as fall approaches.

Very few reviews of the CrossTrek fleece, and nothing yet that compares the two that I could find. Can anyone whose tried both give me the scoop?

I’m looking for a mid layer that can start off a morning hike or finish off camp chores over a base layer, and/or maybe a wind shirt.  Minimal weight and not too tight.

Other suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Bob (slbear)

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

It looks like a standard Polartec Power Stretch fleece.  Research on fleeces with the same material would give you a good idea of what to expect.

I’d go with a classic 100 weight fleece.  Light around 7-9 ounces, great for active use.  No need to go brand here, just whatever fit you like best.  I like the REI Co-Op fleece or the Land’s End fleece hoody.

BCap
    BPL Member

@bcap

REI has become pretty generous with their sizing in my experience, so you might even find that the large REI fleece fits better than the large R1.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Keep in mind that R1 sizing has changed over time – Patagonia makes some great stuff but their sizing tends to be all over the map and changes from season to season. My R1 which is probably from a decade ago fits very snuggly and for how I use it that’s fine. I tried one on in the same size from a later season and the fit was much more casual and loose.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Patagonia acknowledges a different cut for the R1 (slim) and Crosstrek (regular), and maybe today’s slim is yesterday’s regular.  Their American market has changed size (I’ll speak for myself), and their stuff last so damn long.  Fit is an interesting question because tight should seem good in a mid-layer piece for wicking and layering.  Too tight might be uncomfortable, and maybe even diminish warmth?

I’ll let comfort be my guide; I upsized the Alpine Houdini I’m using as my rain shell to XL for layering.  I’ll check out the REI version sometime this week if I can get in there.

One more question about the fleece.  I go back and forth on the hood.  Although I want the minimal weight for most of my use, and usually take a fleece hat anyway.  Skurka seems to suggest a hood on everything.  Both of these Patagonia lines come with a pull-over, and a full-on hoody.  My R1 was a pullover hoody.  What do you guys recommend for the one 3 season mid layer?  I’ll have a baselayer of varying weight depending on predicted temps and a lightweight shell, probably the Alpine Houdini.

BCap
    BPL Member

@bcap

I got a R1 hoody and found out that I hated having a hood on my fleece — I found it to feel very restrictive.  I didn’t want it unless it was really cold and then I wanted a real jacket anyway.  My wife has a microfleece with hood and loves it for backpacking — she always wants that extra bit of warmth and didn’t feel encumbered by it at all.  I think the hood choice is almost entirely personal preference.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools