Topic

Outdoor Research Flurry Sensor Glove Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Outdoor Research Flurry Sensor Glove Review

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Companion forum thread to: Outdoor Research Flurry Sensor Glove Review

The Outdoor Research Flurry Sensor Glove (2.5 oz / 71 g, $40) is the warmest glove I’ve found that I can use effectively with a smartphone.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

The Flurry Sensor Gloves are warmer than the gloves I am replacing them with – the Outdoor Research Vigor Sensor Gloves.

I assume you mean you are replacing the Vigors with the Flurrys, and not the other way around? If you reconstruct your sentence, you get “I am replacing [the Flurry Sensor Gloves] (“them”) with the Outdoor Research Vigor Sensor gloves; the Flurrys are warmer.”

The Flurrys look nice. I like the texture. I wish the OR would be more up around the cuff, I hate being a bill board. At least they are not as bad as the Castelli gloves I wear. Bike companies are guiltiest of this type of branding.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Ryan, I’m a little confused by your analysis. I think that polyester is naturally hydrophobic and absorbs less moisture than either wool or nylon.

Bryan Bihlmaier
    BPL Member

@bryanb

Locale: Wasatch Mountains

I concur on the Outdoor Research Vigor gloves. I bought a pair because of the touted “ActiveTemp” thermal regulating fibers. I did not find them to regulate my hand temperature at all, and actually they would absorb so much sweat while skinning uphill my hands would get cold.
    Thanks for the tip on the Flurrys.
    I do have to disagree about fabric type not affecting drying rate. Except maybe, as you said, it’s actually the fabric type that determines how much moisture is absorbed to begin with. I have tested a handful of similar-weight base layer tops I own by running them through a rinse-and-spin cycle (maybe more uniform starting point than wringing?) and recording the drying time as you did. Wool takes at least 4x longer to dry than any of my polyester layers. To the point that all other layers were dry and I just waited overnight to weigh the wool layer again.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

@stumphges – water beads up on the Flurry; water beads and then immediately starts to absorb into the nylon fleece (Columbia); water does not bead on and immediately saturates and wicks through the polyester of the Vigor. The Vigor gets wet quickly and really holds on to the moisture.

Michael, good catch on the grammar. I’ll send that our editors for a fix!

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

These gloves have preformed well for me here in Michigan:

BLACK DIAMOND MID WEIGHT GRIDTECH FLEECE GLOVES (Polartec® Power Grid® ) – MED (1.7oz)

My warmth rating is 45*F

Scott S
    BPL Member

@seascout

Based on Ryan’s review I picked up some Flurrys (Flurries?) and I am pleased. I’ve been looking for warmer gloves that still have good dexterity.  I have some BD windstopper gloves which have great dexterity, but they can’t cope with sub-50 degree temps.

Last night on a hike to near Seattle (Mount Si) I let my hands chill too much in 40 degree cold before putting on the Flurrys. My hands began to warm up instantly. Later, heading back downhill the temperature dropped to the high 30s and my hands were completely warm. I was very surprised at how much dexterity the gloves had. I could zip/unzip, get things from my hip pockets, etc. almost as easily as I could with the thinner BDs. I can’t judge water or wind resistance as there was no rain and little breeze.

As to sizing I was smack in the middle between Medium and Large on OR’s size chart, and opted for Mediums, which fit perfectly.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Just bought a pair. They run big. I usually am between M and L (9 in Hestra). I got these in am and the fingers are quite long.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

^^^^ I agree with this, especially the index finger

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

I am returning the men’s M I ordered, and will try women’s M (which are slightly bigger than the Men’s S).

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

I bought a pair of mediums. Thumb and palm fit perfectly. The other 4 fingers were about 3/4″ too long.  They were nice, soft inside, and seemed like they would be warm, but the sizing was too weird for me! The extra finger length robbed me of any dexterity I would otherwise have in them. So, I returned them.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

BLACK DIAMOND MID WEIGHT GRIDTECH FLEECE GLOVES (Polartec® Power Grid® ) have worked well for me in Nebraska… my God it was COLD here this last winter! The Gloves were great!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools