Topic

Most breathable, wide fit, shoes or boots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Most breathable, wide fit, shoes or boots

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Andrea C
    BPL Member

@andreagattonero

Hello.
    A recent re-start with hiking proved how stiff my muscles had become, ending up in a strain to my hamstring. The cause? I find my Merrell Capra boots very comfortable and nicely waterproof, but their soles have the grip of a soap bar on a banana skin, there is me ending up in a split while crossing a small wooden bridge (while my partner didn’t had the slightest problem in her Vibram shoes).
    And the Merrell’s are too hot in the summer. So I’m looking for a new pair.

Ideally, I’d like a mid-height to reduce the amount of debris, since I’ll be doing mostly bridleways/moderate rocky terrain with only the occasional tru-hike.

Mid height and summer don’t seem to go well together, since the 99.9% of those shoes will have a waterproof membrane, so the breathability is limited. The only exception I can see, it’s the Moab Ventilator…but as you’ve read above I’m growing skeptical with the brand!

I had tried before the Inov8 roclite, but their “size 3” width rating proved too small for me, even when sizing up 1/2  number. Same for Aku and Salomon.
    For camp/running/pack shoes I’m good with with a pair of New Balance Minimus Trail 10V3 -check out the wide toebox :-D
    but they are definitely unsupportive so not good for anything but the flat terrain or short hikes.

So what’s your preference for those requirements, what shoes/boots you find good for hot weather?
    Thanks in adavance for your help!

Sloan
    Spectator

@gingersnap

I have the same problem with feet being too wide for the European shoe makers and my feet tend to sweat in anything with goretex.

I have settled on hoka one one shoes for anything from quick trail runs in Ohio to a thru hike on the AT. I used the Challenger atr for my AT thru and I recently got a pair of speedgoats for a CT thru hike this year (more aggressive soles than the Challenger) and I quite like them so far.

If you’re wanting mid height mostly for debris management you could try a pair of trail running gaiters like dirty girls or similar.

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

I would still suggest Merrill, the Moabs. I get the low-cut but there are mid height shoes too. There are waterproof and non. I use the non. They fit my wide feet nicely, and are breathable.

Kelly

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have those Minimus in your picture and while the fabric is very open, the sole allows more heat from the walking surface to warm up my feet and thus feel hotter than most other shoes I’ve tried. They also do not feel very wide because of the weird rubber overlay across the front. I have very wide feet and have to buy men’s EE width to have comfortable shoes. Altras are not wide enough. Merrell Moabs are wide enough for me without a wide width. I don’t really find them to be all that breathable, but not as much heat rises up from the trail bed through the sole.

Andrea C
    BPL Member

@andreagattonero

An update: I went for a pair of Hi-Tech (they’re a popular brand in UK) V-Lite Rapid.
    Although described as “sandals” they’re actually fully enclosed shoes. Essentially, it’s a shoe where the uppers are mostly made out of mesh.

After a 40 miles hike, in the best summer you can get in Britain, I surely appreciated the ventilation those shoes offered. And the soles proved to be grippy enough to deal with grass and rocks when wet.

All good there, but what’s the drawback?

Well, seasoned hikers won’t have soft feet as me, because we had to shorten the last part of the hike due to (my) sore feet and a blister.
    Those shoes run a bit large -which is usually a good thing for me- and I made two big mistakes: the first was to remove the original insole for a very soft foam insole (hence my toebox had almost zero support), the second was to use light socks and leaving the laces not tight enough (pair this with the lack of support, there you go with a blister!).
    I was glad to find a well-stocked outdoor store in a small town we passed by, to get some good insoles. That made a big difference, and lesson learned!

Andrea C
    BPL Member

@andreagattonero

FWIW: here’s  the average type of terrain we had to deal with, nothing extreme but enough to require more than just an “approach shoe”.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Those Hi-tek shoes look really cool. Your feet probably turn all black with dust getting in but that’s okay. My feet turned black with dust every day on the PCT and it was fine.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Altra Lone Peak Hiker Hiking Boots – Women’s . or Topo Athletic Trailventure Hiking Boots – Women’s or would a regular trail runner work and gaiters to keep debris out. I don’t know how wide your feet are but I wear the Altra men’s since they are wider than the women’s, everyone’s feet are different so you may just have to try different ones on.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You might want to look at the Oboz Sawtooth II, which comes in low & mid heights and waterproof & non-waterproof versions. It’s a similar type of shoe to the Merrell, but the fit might be different enough to work for your feet.

Ian H
    BPL Member

@carpus

You mentioned debris – Dirty Girl gaiters are super light and flexible, over a trail running shoe. https://dirtygirlgaiters.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!