Topic

Modifying GG Gorilla 2016

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Modifying GG Gorilla 2016

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Myles S
    BPL Member

@trees

I recently purchased a GG Gorilla to accommodate my transition into lighter weight hiking. I used it on one 5 night trip so far and mostly liked it. I found it very comfortable, I barely felt the pack with weights of something like 14 up to 26 lbs.

I think the pack is a little overkill for the weights I tend to/will be carrying. I’d like to shave off some weight from the pack, and so far all I’ve done is ditch the top floating lid (never really planned to use it). Unfortunately, the top closure system with criss-crossed straps is messy and cumbersome. I’d like some simpler alternative to securing the top after tightening the drawstring. The solution that seemed simplest to me is removing the criss-crossing straps and adding a central top closure strap. This could attach to either the mesh pocket on the front of the pack or to the pack body fabric slightly above the pocket. I’m also interested in cutting out the bladder sleeve and experimenting with hiking without the sit light pad.

I’m curious if anyone has done any similar modifications on this relatively new model. I have no experience permanently modifying gear, so I’d appreciate insight. I’m a little hesitant to take the scissors to my new pack. An alternative plan could be selling it and getting a simpler alternative. The KS50 is especially appealing.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

Could you take a picture of the top of the pack fully opened? I’m wondering if you could turn it into a rolltop by using the original side clips that hold the front buckles of the top lid since you’re not using the lid and those should be free.

Myles S
    BPL Member

@trees

Unfortunately I won’t have access to my pack until August, so I can’t take a photo. Do you mean using the existing yellow straps and replacing one of the male buckles with a female buckle and connecting? I’d rather have the strap go from the back to the front of the pack, rather then from the left to right side. Still, I’m not sure I understand what you mean.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Ugh looking at the photos on the GG website the crisscross straps do look like a mess.

If you add a central top strap you might consider connecting it to the pack body and then adding a small grosgrain/webbing loop to the top of the pocket. That is how my MLD Burn closed (I don’t have it any more). I liked the Burn setup because it kept the front pocket tidy but also allowed you to open it farther when the top strap was loose or unhooked.

Myles S
    BPL Member

@trees

Thank you Matthew. I was thinking that connecting it to the top of the front pocket would be good, especially since the front pocket on the Gorilla is so big. Do you have any recommendations of how I could source that webbing and buckle? Maybe I could just repurpose the straps I cut off? I may also lash some elastic cordage on top of the front pocket (there are little loops there already) to decrease the pocket’s profile when it isn’t full.

If I am to remove the existing straps, should I just cut them at the base with a pair of scissors? I want to make this as clean as possible!

I’m also struggling to determine whether it’s a better idea to attempt to modify the Gorilla or just sell it unotouched (it’s in near perfect shape) and seek a more appropriate replacement. I realize this is a fairly personal question, but I’d be curious to hear opinions.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools