Topic

Managing condensation in a pyramid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Managing condensation in a pyramid

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

This may seem like a stupid question, but I’m really having trouble managing condensation in my Ultamid. Since it’s a single walled tent, I get a lot of condensation on the inside of the tent. This isn’t a huge problem if I avoid hitting the side of the tent which is do-able most of the time.

However, it becomes far more problematic near the door. I find that opening always results in wet stuff showering on me. If there’s snow and I open it, the snow showers in through the door. If I bang the snow off, the condensation showers in on me. Even if there’s just condensation, opening the door results in a shower. I’m always standing underneath the door to reach the zipper, so it’s a… brisk experience.

Is there any way to manage this, or is this an inevitable result of my tent system? I keep the flaps open and unzip the door if it’s not snowing, but it’s usually snowing.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I have the same experience – condensation on the inside under some conditions – leaving door open for ventilation helps

I brush where the door is with my hand before brushing with my jacket.  Better to get my hand wet than my jacket.

If it’s clear, and I put the mid up under a tree so there’s no view of the night sky, then radiative cooling won’t make the tent wall so cold so there’s less condensation on the inside

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

As Jerry says, pitching it under a tree will reduce radiant cooling and therefore reduce condensation on windless nights.  And it’ll be warmer for you, the occupant.

Do you leave a gap under the bottom?  i.e. pitch it an inch or two high?  If it’s really windy out (one of the strengths of a pyramid), I pitch it low to the ground and some air gets through anyway.  But if it’s a little windy, then I’d pitch one corner high.  If it’s not windy at all, I’d pitch two adjacent corners a bit high to provide ventilation along that edge and part of the adjacent edges.  You have to balance that against bug protection and, yeah, being a single-wall tent, you can reduce condensation but not eliminate it in all cases (p.s. that’s also true of double-wall tents, just not as much).

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I carry a kitchen cloth and use it to wipe down the walls if needed. Most often its used to wipe the dirt off the floor.
    They are very light and dry very fast.

the thick type works better.

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

Great ideas. I should clarify that my biggest problem is when snow camping. No concern about bugs, but the condensation is frosty and just flies everywhere.

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

I second the ultralite tent towel – my choice is a chopped-down PackTowl.

I wipe down the ceiling of my hexamid before I even get out of the sleeping bag.  Wipe. Ring. Repeat.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

If there’s no wind, and temps are cool – you’ll have condensation. Shelter doesn’t matter. Single wall, double wall, pyramid.

Tarps, less so.

I 2nd the idea of using a microfiber towel to wipe it up in the morning.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

To add to Ryan’s post, I have always found that a larger shelter for 1 person helps you to manage the effects from condensation a bit better as any condensation from your breath would be dispersed over a larger area.  Your mileage may vary….

You would still get condensation, however.  Maybe just less.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

If you have a double wall tent, there may be condensation on the inside of the outer layer.  Then the inner layer will keep you from touching the condensation.  Sort of a reminder where the tent wall is.  You could still touch the inner layer and push it outwards until you’re touching the condensation, but that wouldn’t be so bad.

Or, have a single layer and remember where the wall is and don’t touch it.  And when you do, a small curse is in order.  A big enough tent, like a 60 inch high pole in a mid helps.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Is the use case here snow camping, or are you referring to condensation inside when there is just an occasional snow shower?
    Are you changing campsites every day or just making a basecamp?

In reference condensation on inside walls of a pyramid while winter snow camping, I mostly basecamp and take my yellow Silnylon MLD Duomid when there are no storms in the forecast. If I expect a lot of snow, I take one of my 4-season, double-walled tents.

But for the regular cloudy, partly cloudy, or sunny days, I just cover my sleeping bag with my trusty water-resistant BPL bivy, put other my gear into silnylon bag, and carefully exit the tent for breakfast. I do an inspection to make sure I have not knocked frost onto any uncovered gear.

I let solar energy take care of the frost from the condensation. By mid afternoon, the mid is bone dry on the inside, ready for a perfect nap.:-)

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

I get condensation inside the tent regardless of whether it’s snowing outside. This happens on a quick overnight or a longer trip where I’m constantly moving sites. I have never set up a base camp for multiple days. I don’t own a 4 season, double walled tent. Only the Ultamid. I can’t buy more tents unless I can find a way to hide the location and purchase from the boss.

I guess I can move everything out of the way, don my rain gear, slowly unzip the zipper from below, gently tap off the snow that has accumulated on the top of the mid, and hope it doesn’t rain frost on me from above.

Perhaps I’m not getting a steep enough pitch on the mid in the front so it doesn’t shed snow adequately? I always get snow accumulation on the front where the zipper is. Without this, I think I could probably manage the frost inside.

But more importantly. Partly cloudy / sunny days? Occasional snow shower? Solar warming? Where are you winter camping, the Bahamas? I haven’t seen the sun since September and don’t plan on seeing it again until July up here in the PNW :-P

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

What’s below you? The more exposed ground (or snow) in your mid, the more condensation you will get as well.

If you put down a light but full-coverage ground sheet (poly is light but quite slippery on snow), it’ll slow down the moisture from perking out of the ground, especially directly underneath of you. As you sleep, the ground directly under you is slowly warming up, and likely creating some bulk water potential.

Fwiw, I’ve used my mid before in the winter simply for group gear storage, and it still gets condensation when the ground is exposed. And I’m sure I’m not the only one whose gotten “snowed on” in the morning passing through a vestibule of a double walled tent, simply because there’s no ground protection.

Don’t make that mistake anymore.

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

I typically put a Tyvek groundsheet on top of the snow. It sounds like this is somewhat unavoidable.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Adam
    Not the Bahamas. California: Donner Pass, Lassen, Carson Pass, SR4, Yosemite.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

Wonder if these moisture absorbers would work. Anybody try these? At 14oz each though.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

Just stop breathing.  You will be fine.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools