Topic

looking for a light to mid-weight boot with roomy toe box

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) looking for a light to mid-weight boot with roomy toe box

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Mike, try the targhee mid if you can. Huge toe box and reasonably light. It has the classic wide toe box keen fit, some of keens newer models are not as wide in the toes.

I am going to try the altra lone peak mids this winter, but I am trying them out because the lone peak is soft, squishy, and flexible…. not what you are looking for.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Luke- yeah the Altra and Hoka “boots” are too soft for what I’m looking for unfortunately

Justin- they had the Targhee- it looked pretty nice, but didn’t have my size; they didn’t have the Aphlex  at all which I think most closely resembles the 4D’s; the toe box did look pretty good though I agree

Colin M
    BPL Member

@cmcvey23

Same problem here too: boots tend to have narrow toes! Even so called “wide” just get wide in the heel but still are not wide enough in the forefoot.

I found a brand new pair of Salomon 4DII GTX’s at a garage sale for $30 that I LOVE in mud and snow. Light for what they are (3.2 lbs for the pair), roomy toe box, 200 miles and still holding out water. I like them more than any other big boot I’ve owned and they are awesome in mud and snow with their very tall tops. Add in that they have a very good “roll” to the sole so they are actually quite fast on the trail. They aren’t Altra wide but have plenty of room for my wide forefoot but still grip my standard heel and mid-foot.

I like them so much I ordered the Salomon X Ultra Aero  hoping for a light and breathable hiker with more support than a trail runner. Unfortunately, though Salomon claims all boots are made with the same last, the inside of both shoes in the toe area cuts in sharply and causes me massive big toe pain after big days.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ I ended up ordering a pair of 4D’s; would have loved to buy them locally, but with a difference of $70 just couldn’t do it :(

Colin M
    BPL Member

@cmcvey23

Mike, they aren’t cheap but I’m guessing you’ll like them. I’d recommend changing out the insole as they have a tendency to trap moisture. They are comfortable but I think it was a pretty big oversight to use the kind of foam that holds moisture.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

as luck would have it I have a nice pair of superfeet insoles around :)

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools