Topic

Long Gaiters for poison oak/ivy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Long Gaiters for poison oak/ivy?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jeff berkman
    BPL Member

@jberkman

I need help finding gaiters that will go up over my calves to protect me from poison oak/ivy. I need them to be breathable since I sweat a lot and the weather is hot. They don’t have to be water proof. It would be nice if they could handle off trail conditions too. any suggestions?

Ryan K
    BPL Member

@ryan-keane

I would go with wind pants, I think cheaper ones if you’re going to do a lot of bushwacking.  I like Sierra Designs Microlight.  Whatever height gaiters you’re wearing with shorts, some poison oak/ivy is bound to go above them.  And wind pants should be easier to take off without touching any oil on the outside, although I have no direct experience since thankfully poison oak/ivy has no effect on me.

jeff berkman
    BPL Member

@jberkman

Would the Sierra Designs Microlight wind pants be easy to put on and take off without taking off my high ankle hiking boots?

Ryan K
    BPL Member

@ryan-keane

The Microlights just have an elastic cuff – I can pull them off with my trail runners on, but it’s probably harder with bigger boots.  You might want to look at others that have zippers, although then you have to touch the zippers that might be covered in oil.

jeff berkman
    BPL Member

@jberkman

I use gloves so zippers aren’t a problem. I’m most concerned about breathability.

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

I have found that Rail Riders clothing has worked exceedingly well for off trail, bush whacking and for the abuse I’ve put them through, they are well worth the price. We have lots of PO here on the CA coast and to keep from bringing it home to give to the wife, long pants is the only option. Just be sure you change out of your hiking clothes before getting into the sleeping bag and change out of them before driving home to keep it off the car seat.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Ragged mountain Equipment Intervale Uncoated Gaiter 16″ tall

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Do regular nylon hiking pants not work? That sounds more comfortable than gaiters.

Kenneth Keating
    Spectator

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

I have the same question as Justin.

Terry, have you good success with the Railriders’, with no penetration of PO?

I was in Big Sur two weeks ago on a hike to Cone Peak and I took photos of the amount of PO along the trail.  Most of the green is PO.  Plus there’s a lot above knee height, so I’m interested in pants as I’m not sure gaiters would be enough.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Is it possible for poison oak oils to penetrate nylon pants? It doesn’t matter to me as I am immune, but I am curious.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools