Topic

Livable Bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Livable Bivy

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Dale, that is true if the poncho is large enough.In pouring/driving rains depending on the soil or forest floor duff there may be splatter along the edges of the poncho shelter that can get on the bivy, your pack, etc. and run in on a groundcloth IF you are using one.

I was a “tarper” for several years in Pennsylvania in the ’70s before I could afford a decent DW tent so I’ve lived in them in rain, wind and snow and sometimes all three in the same storm. I always managed to sleep dry B/C I used a 12 x 12 tarp and had many tie-out points for several configuration options. A great size for one person and barley OK for two in foul weather.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I did something like that, make a small tarp about the size of a poncho that just covered the head half of my bivy.  And once I got caught when it rained and I had no tarp so I just used my rain jacket.  That sort of works, especially if there’s only a small chance of rain.

But, it just works better in the rain if you have a complete cover with all the edges close to the ground so rain doesn’t get blown in sideways.  Like a mid.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

But, it just works better in the rain if you have a complete cover with all the edges close to the ground so rain doesn’t get blown in sideways.  Like a mid

Indeed, or a shaped tarp like a Gatewood. I got a bivy as much for insect protection as weather. A Titanium Goat Ptarmigan with a breathable top and insect head net does the trick.

I tried one of the Black Diamond Tripod bivvies year ago. As much fuss weight and expense as tent and all the comfort of a Star Trek escape pod ; )

John Smith
    BPL Member

@jcar3305

Locale: East of Cascades

Do we get much rain east of the Cascades? Nope, not really.

The ease of a bivy is what really attracts me to it. I love the simplicity of it. I don’t typically change clothes in it. I usually just do that standing up. I am pretty fast at it, and Inclement weather just speeds that up. Sure heavy rain is a pain but when that is a priority I use my full size pyramid. Otherwise I have the modesty of a nickel prostitute, at least that is what my mom says.

When I take my bivy on a backpacking trip, I almost always bring a tarp. Solo  or a two person when I am with my son.

I typically look for bivies that have a breathable top, such as eVent and fully waterproof bottom, DCF is the preferred bottom fabric.

Side zippers are a must and quilts work great in them. I do prefer the largest sizes, mainly so I can bring damp clothes inside the bivy to dry out as much as possible.

I know of tents that are lighter in combination but not with as much spread out space for gear under a tarp, and except for the wettest nights I simply leave my quilt in the bivy and stuff it all away together. Makes set up even easier the next day. Although to be honest I have done that with tents, but setup the next time is actually more difficult.

I am a bit weird but I enjoy it

John the xcar

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools