Topic

Light(est) 3 layer rain jacket/pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Light(est) 3 layer rain jacket/pants

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I’ve got a few different ultralight rain jackets/pants and a pretty bomber 3 layer jacket/pant combo that I use for hunting, but am looking for a lighter 3 layer set to bring when the forecast is wet and soggy (not splash & dash where the UL stuff works fine).

Ive got a RAB Flashpoint that meets what I’m looking for (7 oz/3 layer), but it’s ten years old now and sadly discontinued.

Thanks

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Locale: Central NYS

“Ultralight” and “bomber” are at odds with each other. For bulletproof rain protection, I like Outdry (or a silnylon Packa/Poncho). Outdry is more like “light” than “ultralight”, but it cannot wet out, so it is less likely to encourage condensation under the jacket.

AFAIK, EE Visp is the lightest 3L jacket with pit zips. It is pretty great for an ultralight jacket. I would be careful about bushwhacking in it. Like most WPBs, it wets out after half an hour of heavy rain, so expect some condensation while active. The light weight makes it slightly less warm than other WPBs, which is an advantage in warmer weather.

Rab Phantom is often called the “lightest”, but it is an anorak so I would not even consider it, personally. Oddly, I have never seen anyone comment on the Rab Cinder Phantom, which is an actual jacket made of the same stuff (7D Pertex Shield 2.5 layer). Rab claims it is 100g (3oz) in size Medium, which is as light as WPBs get. Wear long sleeves under it (at least a Brynje), because 2.5 layer does not protect the membrane from the oils in your sweat. Same caveats as Visp regarding condensation.

For bushwhacking I would try military surplus, like the ECWCS L6. Users like them, and they are reasonably lightweight for tough garments. I have an L4 — it isn’t exceptional for weight or breathability, but it would be my first choice for bushwhacking.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I have Pa hantom and for what it is and what it weighs, it does pretty well.  I have the top and bottom; really nice for day hikes or even backpacking with a favorable forecast.

Don’t need bombproof, I’ve got that covered w/ some Sitka stuff.

Want something in between, but not 2 or 2.5- have had plenty of those of the years; they work OK but don’t last long and don’t perform like a 3 layer.

The Rab Flashpoint fit the bill pretty well.  If someone can make a 3 layer rain jacket ten years ago that weighs 7 oz, surely someone could still make one :)

On the Visp, any idea what the “Restraint” is-some kind DWR?  Sizing on the Visp?

Thanks

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Yes, Visp sounds like what you’re asking for.

The “with/without restraint” on EE’s web page is referring to the testing standard. I think it has something to do with protecting the fabric from bursting. 10,000mm of water is a column 30 feet tall, so that’s a lot of pressure. Triple it for 28,000mm. At those pressures, a few thousand mm one way or the other doesn’t matter much — the stuff is very waterproof.

EE (correctly) cuts shells generously for ventilation and layering. Trim and athletic cuts don’t make sense for shells (except for special uses such as cycling, mountaineering, or canyoneering). Mostly trim fits are for style rather than function (other than base layers).

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Thanks!

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

My old Rab Demand is 3 ply Event and yes, it’s bombproof…or was. I haven’t tested it recently. Of course it’s discontinued, and was an anorak, which I consider a plus. Where I hike if it’s storming it’s cold, so venting by unzipping isn’t necessary.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Looks like the Demand predates the Flashpoint by a couple of years.

Funny Rab isn’t making anything similar to either piece, must be a sales issue.

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Yes, good point about anoraks. Some people like them. They are popular in Britain. OTOH, I add front zippers and pit zips to garments that don’t have them. Clearly, personal preferences (and climates) vary.

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Demand predates the Flashpoint by a couple of years.

Funny Rab isn’t making anything similar to either piece

The Visp fabric is a rare balance of 3L WPB and very light weight fabric. Z-Packs Vertice is the only other jacket I know of in the same weight range. Most other WPBs are twice the weight or more. Rab has GoreTex and Phantom — they probably figure that covers the range pretty well. I agree that a lightweight 3L is worth a couple of extra ounces.

That said, I also like OR’s AscentShell, which are a few ounces heavier than Visp, but are more rugged (and have pockets!). The AscentShell membranes are very high performance in Stephen Seeber’s testing.

I am more likely to wear Outdry or AscentShell when I expect rain, and carry the Visp. Again, that’s just me… YMMV.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Looked up the Ascent; for that weight I’d probably just grab my Sitka about an ounce lighter- 3 layer Goretex and has 17” pitzips, double adjustable hood, etc, etc

Ive used this jacket (and pants) in some really nasty (and sustained) weather conditions and climbing through terrible (miles) blowdown.

If I’m packing them I’m fully expecting the worst :)

Robert Spencer
    BPL Member

@bspencer

Locale: Sierras of CA and deserts of Utah

Mike, another option to consider is the Patagonia Storm Racer Jacket. I don’t have personal experience with it, but it is listed as 3L and 7.2 ounces. More marketed towards the running world but looks to be simple and I suspect good quality.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I’ll check that one out; had never heard of that one :)

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

One concern with running jackets is the slim fit.  They’ll “wet out” from the inside quickly, especially if they don’t have pit zips

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I know you’re looking for 3 layer, but the Montbell Torrent Flier is pretty sweet. Otherwise, their 3 layer Storm Cruiser might work for you. I have both.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Those both look pretty good; I’ve had good luck with Montbell stuff :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I just ordered a pair of the Montbell Storm Cruiser pants; 3 layer Gore, half zip for 7.6 oz—not too bad.

I looked closely over my old Rab Flashpoint and while it has a few small patched holes, no signs of delamination, so probably hold off for a bit on the jacket.  My buddy just bought this jacket (Alpha Lightweight jacket) from Arcteryx; it fits the bill, but $500 is just a bit steeper than I want to spend

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/alpha-lightweight-jacket

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!