Topic

Lighten My Load by ~2 lbs?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Lighten My Load by ~2 lbs?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Lennox N
    BPL Member

@blue-grendelgmail-com

I have been working to lighten my load, but I am kinda stuck. I would like to get about two pounds lighter on what is in the backpack. I know that half of that is in the Chair Zero, but I think the chair is essential for time spent in camp. My back cannot take a lot of sitting on a log with no back support. I have not really worked on my food yet. That one is an estimate. Any ideas? Here is my LighterPack list: https://lighterpack.com/r/7yj3ce

Thanks!

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I would suggest that you compile your list (not including consumables) and do a sort highest to lowest.  Then I would look at functionality. For example is a phone, battery charger, GPS, compass and map really needed for this trip?   Take out a few of the big hitters, summing up items in the few ounces range will require a lot of items.  My 2 cents.

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

The Gila seems rather heavy at 55oz.

I think my GG Mariposa 60 is ~35oz? you could potentially cut 1lb with a lighter pack. (the Mariposa still carries 25-30lbs very comfortably too). The Gorilla 40 or 50 is even lighter if you dont need 60L volume.

I also carry the Helinox zero on any major trip. Hard weight to shed if you’re traveling a long ways or sitting around camp a lot.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

If you lose the phone and charger, and then the smart wool sleep layer, you’ll be well on the way. If the smart wool is a needed warmth layer in camp or elsewhere, then I guess it has to stay.

Robert Spencer
    BPL Member

@bspencer

Locale: Sierras of CA and deserts of Utah

Doesn’t matter how light your spreadsheet is, everyone “would like to get about two pounds lighter.” Obviously any suggestions will be aimed at things you value, otherwise you wouldn’t have them in your pack….

Your list is very complete, but maybe you have some overlap too. I agree with the comment about looking at your electronics. You probably like all that tech, but it really adds up especially when you are carrying all that in addition to a regular compass and thermometer, etc. Low tech will save you half a pound.

And yes, there are lighter backpacks that will do the job for your expected carry weight. I am a fan of the ULA Circuit, but there are others. To me, this is your spot to pick up considerable savings on the list. Lighter packs may not carry as well as your Gila, but they will be good enough.

It appears you like to organize your things — I think I counted half a pound of pouches, pods and ditty bags. To each his own, but maybe try to cut back in that area and see if you miss it.

I assume your Uberlite pad is a Wide since the Regular is a couple ounces lighter than listed. Your list is quite detailed so you may want to update that. Also, your Hyperlite Repack is 1.4 ounces, not 14 ounces. There’s three quarters of a pound saved right there!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

You might lose 12.6 oz by correcting the weight of your food warming bag from 14 oz to 1.4 oz :)

Edit:

Ha!  Looks like Robert beat me to it by one minute.  I also agree with every other point he made. The best places to lose a lot of weight are your big 3, Pack, Shelter, and Sleep system. You pack sems overkill for your base weight…the other big 2 look pretty good.

After that, you lose weight by saving fractions of an ounce in many places…it all adds up.  Lose the packing cubes and try a pack liner?  How about a smaller/lighter battery? Do you really need a thermometer?

Try not to pack your fears.  They are heavy buggars.

Lennox N
    BPL Member

@blue-grendelgmail-com

Thanks! Some excellent points by all. Good catch about the food warming bag. My phone is also my camera but since it also has maps and a compass, I could probably drop the map & compass. I have not used either on recent trips. I stay on the trails. I probably don’t NEED the thermometer. It is usually cold, hot or just right in the places I hike.

I have the lightest 10,000 mAh charger I could find. …but I have never used it up on a three day backpack. Maybe there is a lighter one with somewhat less power.

I had not thought about leaving the Smartwool sleep shirt. I suppose I could just wear my puffy jacket over my hiking shirt if the shirt is not wet…. or bring a lighter shirt to sleep in under my puffy.

The Uberlite pad is a wide, but I am going to try the regular. My new wide has a leak and I returned it to Therm-a-rest. Their turn-around time will return it after my next scheduled trip.

I know the pack is a little heavy. It also has more space than I need now. A very important thing about it is that it puts the weight almost exclusively on my hips, which is something I need. I plan to start researching some lighter packs, but I need to make sure they will not put much of the weight on my shoulders.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Thermometer: Does not change the temperature…it is what it is.  Your body can tell you wether it is “hot, cold or just right”.

Determine how much of your battery you actually use. There are many 5000 mAh chargers in the 4-5 oz range.  Will also be smaller.

I do pack a sleep layer…keeps my sometimes not so clean body off of my mat and quilt.  Worth the pack weight in my book.

Do not scrimp on your pad solely for the purpose of reducing weight.  Sleeping well is critical for enjoying the following day’s hike.  Minimize it’s weight, but not it’s comfort.

As you reduce base weight you (hopefully) also reduce the size of your load.  Keep the current pack until you have settled on everything else, then get a pack that fits you well and is sized for your load.  When working on reducing your overall pack weight, the pack is often best left as the final piece of the puzzle.

Lennox N
    BPL Member

@blue-grendelgmail-com

Thanks, JCH. I plan to try the smaller narrower Uberlite at home to see if it will work for me. I agree with a good night sleep being very important.

I think I am very close to whittling down the things I carry to the point where I should start researching lighter backpacks. I have seen some very light ones, but I need to put the weight almost exclusively on my hips. One pack I tried that I did not work for me was the Osprey Exos 58. Everything went in, but I just could not get a good fit. The Osprey Atmos 65 fit me great, but it is too big and too heavy. I have removed/replaced several bulkier items since I fit everything into the Exos.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

The z-Packs Arch Haul 62 pack is 22 ounces… there is your two pounds of savings… and it does take the weight off your shoulders… at least does for me…

DWR…

Lennox N
    BPL Member

@blue-grendelgmail-com

Thanks DWR. Zpacks backpacks are definitely on my list to check out. Since they offer so many different sizes, I think my first step needs to be to figure out what capacity I can fit my stuff into. I know it will fit in a 62 liter pack. But will it fit into a 50L or 55L pack? I “assume” the packs all fit and feel about the same on one’s hips and back.

Thanks again, Lenny

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Hey Lenny…

not sure which zPacks pack? Buy one of each! Can’t have too many packs ya know… didn’t you know that Backpacking Light is named after having a ‘light’ wallet after buying all that gear!  :)))

Lennox N
    BPL Member

@blue-grendelgmail-com

Yep. Lighter wallet. That’s for sure.

I got the Gila to replace my old 8 0r 9 lb pack. Now that I have replaced most of my other heavy gear, it is too big and heavy. Time for one more pack. Only one, right? ;-)

LWN

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I have a first gen Arc Haul and really like it.  For me, it puts all weight on the hips and I have learned to pack it such that the shoulder straps just put a light pressure on the front of the shoulders, i.e. they just keep the pack from falling backwards.  Wearing this pack all day is no problem

Were I buying today, I’m pretty sure I’d go with the 60L Arc Air.  Looks like a “new gen” Arc Haul, simpler, sleeker and I like the Robic.  Another nice feature is that the roll top effectively reduces volume if your load is smaller than normal. Also, I found the lumbar pad to be necessary for comfort.

Zpacks has a generous return policy which makes trying things out relatively painless.

Lennox N
    BPL Member

@blue-grendelgmail-com

Thanks, JCH! Zpacks are at the top of my early research. One thing I like about REI is their generous return policy. Unfortunately (for REI), now that I am seriously reducing pack weight, I mostly see things I do not need. If Zpacks return policy is similarly generous, I will likely go ahead and order an Arc Air (ROBIC) and hope it arrives before my planned mid-August trip.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I have a Gila as well and would not replace it with a ZPacks. I’ve used a friends Arc Haul 62L for a long weekend and while the packs was light I didn’t like the way it carried.  If it does carry well for you, then you have a big weight-savings opportunity.

I don’t compromise on backpack comfort nor sleeping comfort on extended treks. YMMV

Lennox N
    BPL Member

@blue-grendelgmail-com

I agree wiiawiab. However, the Gila is only comfortable for me if I can get my total weight under 25 lbs. Recently with 30 lbs, the last 2.5 hours of 8 hour hikes in the List Creek Wilderness were painful under the Gila. I am ready to at least try something different.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

Have you thought about getting the Seek Outside Flight Two?  That would create a weight savings and still lighten your load.

https://seekoutside.com/flight-two-x-pac-spectra/

Lennox N
    BPL Member

@blue-grendelgmail-com

I have not thought about that yet. But I might if the Zpacks does not work out and I return it.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

RE your zPack arriving before your mid-August trip…

In the past z-Packs would expedite orders to try to meet your timed need… but you had to tell them by what date you need it… so you might contact them if you have not already…

Comfort is a big variable from person to person. But I just finished a 9 day backpack with my Arch Haul and did not notice a comfort problem… started with 28 lbs… but others might have a different experience…

DWR…

Lennox N
    BPL Member

@blue-grendelgmail-com

I plan to call Zpacks tomorrow (07/05) or Tuesday, if they are not open tomorrow. I know a lot of businesses are giving their people 07/05 off.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!