Topic

iPhone 14 Sat SOS now live

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) iPhone 14 Sat SOS now live

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Just got the update on my iphone 14 for sat sos. They have a nice little demo where you can try it out.

Seemed to be pretty quick. found a satellite in about 15-20 sec. and was able to send and receive a test message in about the same amount of time.

It started out having me point due east and then flipped me around NW to find a new sat. This could be a problem if you were badly injured and couldn’t move or hold steady enough to get a good connection.. compared to a standalone device where you could just press 1 button.

If you have a 14 and want to try it, you go to Settings>Emergency SOS>scroll to bottom> Try Demo

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

A detailed description of this https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/11/apple-iphone-satellite-sos-emergency-explainer.html

including his brief test of not positioning the phone for optimal positioning.

Something I wasn’t expecting is that you can manually update your  “Find My” location via satellite.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Yeah, it would be cool if you could do 2 way locations updates via Find My.  ie 2 seperated backpackers in the wilderness w/o cell signal

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

I did a couple more tests and it appears to still work even when you arent pointed at the sat directly. Def a little slower, but the message still went thru.

It also worked inside my house

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

I tried it down the bottom of a heavily timbered river canyon a couple weeks ago and it had a lot of trouble finding and keeping the signal.  I was fishing at the time so i didn’t really give it a long effort… but I think that if i waited for the satellite to pass by the very small window of sky I had it might have been able to get a message out, but hard to say.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools