Topic

How to Plan Food for a Backpacking Trip (Member Q&A)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable How to Plan Food for a Backpacking Trip (Member Q&A)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Backpacking Light
    Admin

@backpackinglight

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to: How to Plan Food for a Backpacking Trip (Member Q&A)

Considerations for backcountry food planning, caloric density, packaging, and more for hiking and backpacking.

Feel free to submit questions as per the instructions in the above-referenced event page, or in this forum thread.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Thanks, Ryan. A good summery of stuff. However, I was wondering about fat, both from body sources and dietary sources. Since glucose is needed for fatty acid metabolism, this can also decrease available glucose in you blood stream and lead to ketone production. I found about 3/4pound per day was the max I could process. What is your take on this?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

*ack – at around 7 min, I spoke that the Cal/g of fats were 7 – correction – it’s 9!

James: yep, there’s an upper limit of what feels good because of ketosis. I’m not a fan, especially on a backpacking trip. The goal here isn’t weight loss, it’s energy, recovery, repeat. Ketosis isn’t awesome for contributing to that. I try to shoot for 0.5 to 0.7 lb of fat loss per day. More than that, and I feel crummy too.

Mart
    BPL Member

@1goodpacker

Locale: Central Texas

Ryan,

The only problem with the Packit Gourmet mylar bags–and most similar such bags–is that the zip is usually on the WRONG dimension. The bags found are rectangular with the zip on the shorter side making the bag tall and slender. It’s maddening. I’ve even had this same discussion with Packit Gourmet’s marketing director as we are both members of the Austin Backpacker’s MeetUp group. I’d like to find bags that have the zip on the longer dimension–like ZipLock Freezer–or better, yet, the PINT Bags.

~Mart from Texas

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

The other problem I’ve had with mylar bags is that the closure breaks fairly quickly, rendering the bag useless. I’ve had this happen on dozens of mylar bags.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Pint freezer bags are readily available on Amazon.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I tried to post this earlier… hope it doesn’t post twice!

I wonder how people determine whether or not a supplement/vitamin has the contents described on the label or not. Since they’re not regulated, a pill that states it has multiple nutrients could be 100% sugar.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!