Topic

Hoosier Hill Farms Powdered Milk/Butter/Cheese

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Hoosier Hill Farms Powdered Milk/Butter/Cheese

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anthony Meaney
    BPL Member

@ameaney

Locale: Canada

Has anyone used this product?  How does it compare to NIDO

And anyone know how the calories/oz for butter compares to the cheese (their website gives the butter in tbl and the cheese in grams)

Anthony Meaney
    BPL Member

@ameaney

Edit:  I meant “these products” not “this product” they are three separate products.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I’ve looked at, but never purchased the cheese primarily owing to the excessive (IMO) sodium content…

For comparison, here are the specs for one of my favorites, Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar

I only hike when it’s cool to cold and find regular cheese keeps just fine for 4-5 days when wrapped tightly in plastic wrap. The trick is to prepackage each serving, not touching it with your fingers during packaging…use rubber gloves.

I’ve been happy enough with Nido not to look elsewhere, but have hard good things about Peak.  I will probably have to give that a try sometime soon.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Anthony Meaney
    BPL Member

@ameaney

I wasn’t so much thinking of the cheese as a standalone but more of an additive to meals to bump up the calorie/flavour

Same with the butter – I would go with the dehydrated butter if the calorie count was similar….

Also I am trying to find a full fat instant milk powder and NIDO is hard to find in Canada.  the Hoosier Hill stuff seems easer to get.   So I was hoping for some feedback on one vs the other.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Anthony – I just add the cheese to whatever meal I am making…works great added to chili or refried beans, instant rice and Fritos, etc.

Anthony Meaney
    BPL Member

@ameaney

JCH: If I took regular cheese with me it wouldn’t last one day. I wouldn’t be able to not eat the whole thing. I love cheese too much – I can eat a whole block in one sitting.

At least with powder I won’t have that temptation and it’s just easier to store/portion out. And I think the odor control (for bears) would be a little easier (I could be wrong about that though))

I know that regular cheese can last without refrigeration – I;m tempted to just take nothing but cheese and chocolate for a whole 7 days….. ok now I am getting hungry.

Bill Giles
    BPL Member

@wgiles51

Locale: Central Illinois

I’ve used the Hoosier Hill Cheese Powder as well as Barry Farms cheese powder and cheese sauce powder. It’s very similar to the cheese sauce powder used in Kraft Mac & Cheese. I haven’t worried too much about the Sodium content since I don’t use it on a regular basis. I would only use powdered cheese in a dish or to make a cheese sauce. I do use powdered cheese to make grits and green chiles. I’m not from the south, but have learned to appreciate grits. Grits & green chiles with eggs can make a good meal.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Hoosier Hill milk powder is very good, an essential part of my Alpen and coffee mornings.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I have the HH butter.  I tried to use it as a straight butter replacement in baked goods.  They have instructions for much water to add to make a tablespoon of butter.  I found baked goods did not come out as rich.  I took that to mean there was not as much fat in powdered butter as in actual butter.  I think of it more as a high fat powdered milk.  I have not tried other powdered butters to compare.

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

If you have a vacuum sealer you can always make leakproof packets of actual butter . . . or ghee if you’re concerned about the water content of real butter.  I wouldn’t bother with the ghee, butter’s like 80+% fat anyway.  One of these days I’ll take some pictures and post about how I make the packets.  I do packets of sauces, oil, butter, etc.

I frequently bring real butter and in the past I’ve mostly used a nalgene container to carry it, but I think in the future I’m going to do individual-use butter packets.  No container to clean when you get home and no chance of melting.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools